Solo Dive Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharleyT

Reaction score
This weekend there is a Treasure Hunt at the Scuba Park near me (CSSP in Texas).

I just learned my dive buddy will not be able to make it.
I'm a newly certified diver, have 8 total dives (6 in class, one 4-person group dive with fellow students and one solo pool dive 30 mins to 16').
I own my equipment and it was all checked and repaired as needed last month.
I do not own a pony bottle.
The Park depth is around 20'-25' with a few places being 40'ish.
If I can't find someone to buddy with, how bad would it be to solo dive to approx. 20'-25'?

I have no intention of doing anything over this depth (platforms are about 20' and the Treasure Hunt appears to be about this same depth).

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Charley

Hi Charley,

Personally, I'm not a highly experienced solo diver, but I'm sure many of the responses to your question will be you need more experience. In the grand scheme of things, it's up to you.

On the side, you mention solo diving in a pool. If you do decide to solo it, I would urge you to hit that pool again (and again), and practice as many emergency procedures as possible (ideally, with someone with you to observe/assist), such as gear removal/recovery, accessing all your equipment, diving without a mask, etc, etc.

Honestly...
I'd pass. Just as a reference, the solo diver certification from SDI requires 100 dives minimum as a prerequisite before taking the course.

There will be plenty of dive opps in your future. Use the time to build your buddy network.

Dive safe...

jagfish:
Honestly...
I'd pass. Just as a reference, the solo diver certification from SDI requires 100 dives minimum as a prerequisite before taking the course.

There will be plenty of dive opps in your future. Use the time to build your buddy network.

Dive safe...

Pass it up.

You should be divemaster certified and certainly also with your own pony bottle before you try to solo dive, as a minimum.

Part of being a good diver (solo or not) is knowing when not to dive. Good Call

CharleyT:
Thanks gang. Although I really want to do this, I have to agree with ya'll. I'll go out there and if no one is around, I'll head home. :)
Charley

CharleyT:
Thanks gang. Although I really want to do this, I have to agree with ya'll. I'll go out there and if no one is around, I'll head home. :)
Charley
Charley, if it's a treasure hunt there will likely be many people there. We had around 80 for our last TH. I don't think you will have any problems finding someone to buddy up with. Just let the people running the show know you are looking and they will mostly likely be able to offer some suggestions.

Nothing personal, but with only 8 dives, you don't even know what you don't know yet. If you were to call up CSSP with the information you posted and ask them if it would be ok to solo dive their park, what do you think they would say? Very good call to skip the solo...for a long time.

James

James Goddard:
Charley, if it's a treasure hunt there will likely be many people there. We had around 80 for our last TH. I don't think you will have any problems finding someone to buddy up with. Just let the people running the show know you are looking and they will mostly likely be able to offer some suggestions.

Nothing personal, but with only 8 dives, you don't even know what you don't know yet. If you were to call up CSSP with the information you posted and ask them if it would be ok to solo dive their park, what do you think they would say? Very good call to skip the solo...for a long time.

James

I'm going to call them about their policy re getting a refund if unable to find someone. Don't mind driving out there at all, just do not want to spend $35.00 and not dive.. chuckle They seem like good people, as do the other divers I've met.

Nothing personal taken. That's why I posted the question on here. Although I want to go, it's always good to seek a second (or 50th) thought from folks that have been doing this a long time. :)

Charley

CharleyT

I'm glad you sought the advise of more experienced divers before you made your decision. I'll add a few comments to try and put this issue in context.

In class you should have been told to never enter an overhead environement, (cave, wreck, ice) or do mandatory decompression dives without proper training and experience. This is due to the specialized knowledge, skills, and equipment - that are necessary to overcome (minimize) the inherent dangers these dives present. The same applies to Solo diving. It seems deceptively easy to do any of the above type dives once we learn how to dive, yet they are highly advanced, specialized dives. Safety is paramount in diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom