Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving, especially when solo, there are just some failures you dont survive....its a risk you need to be willing to accept.

Exactly. I once had severe cramps in both legs returning to shore in only 8 ft., but obviously couldn't stand up. Fortunately, I removed them enough to make it back-not a good experience. I should add that if you dive well deeper that CESA range, a pony bottle, IMO, is a must (though I knew an instructor who dived to 100 ft solo without one, saying they're a waste of time). If at these depths you have an equipment malfunction (say, your reg craps out and actually DOESN'T free flow-downstream), the pony would probably get you to the surface--with a safety stop if your pony is large enough.

Exactly. I once had severe cramps in both legs returning to shore in only 8 ft., but obviously couldn't stand up. Fortunately, I removed them enough to make it back-not a good experience. I should add that if you dive well deeper that CESA range, a pony bottle, IMO, is a must (though I knew an instructor who dived to 100 ft solo without one, saying they're a waste of time). If at these depths you have an equipment malfunction (say, your reg craps out and actually DOESN'T free flow-downstream), the pony would probably get you to the surface--with a safety stop if your pony is large enough.

I am just guessing here, but I think that most divers that are not entangled and initiate a CESA from depth make it to the surface. However, some might arrive there bent, some might have held their breath and embolized, some might have aspirated water, and some might be otherwise OK but in the last 20-30 feet suffer shallow water blackout (caused by the pO2 drop as you surface). If properly used (which means you practice with it, a lot) a pony can help you with most of these situations by allowing you to make a slow, controlled ascent to the surface.

I am just guessing here, but I think that most divers that are not entangled and initiate a CESA from depth make it to the surface. However, some might arrive there bent, some might have held their breath and embolized, some might have aspirated water, and some might be otherwise OK but in the last 20-30 feet suffer shallow water blackout (caused by the pO2 drop as you surface). If properly used (which means you practice with it, a lot) a pony can help you with most of these situations by allowing you to make a slow, controlled ascent to the surface.

We seem to be diverging down the pony or not pony path again...

Diving has risk...

Buddies negate some of the risks...

Whether you chose to dive without a buddy, you better understand the additional risks and no matter what precautions you take solo vs buddy diving is always of higher risk though neither method is perfect or we'd be accident free sport.
After reviewing the facts it's up to the individual divers to decide which is a good value proposition for themselves.

There is training available and we have a forum for detailed discussions and SB style debates....

This thread seems balance the topic well for Basic Scuba

I think the biggest thing that a new diver doesn't know is how he is going to handle true stress in the water. If you dive long enough, things are going to go sideways -- equipment will fail, or water conditions won't be what you planned for. You'll get lost, or get cramps or sick or caught in current that you can't fight. Until you've HAD a few of those experiences, you just don't know how you will react. I had a buddy with about 40 dives, who was proud of his comfort in the water, totally panic and bolt for shore with a flooded mask he couldn't get to clear. We had a recent thread here about a tech diver who ran into a situation of truly zero viz on deco, and got disoriented and very frightened.

You can carry a lot of redundant equipment when you dive alone, but you have no redundancy for the most important piece of equipment you need: The capacity for rational thought. Until you have some sense of how well that is going to work, diving by yourself may be a much higher risk activity than you realize.

I too am a new diver, and have recently been doing a series of solo dives to practice various skills and build experience but the first several weren't "relaxing". Not terrifying or anything but definitely requiring very careful planning and attention. True, being solo removed the responsibility of being a buddy but really clarified what's demanded by being a truly independent diver.

I will say that I have the advantage of doing this where I first taught myself to snorkel and freedive about 40 years ago, so the scuba gear and skills are new but the water (and being under it, and being dependent only on myself) are not. Also among the first skills I've been working on involve using the pony so I do have redundant air. Oh and there's been some online research (here and elsewhere) and a book on solo diving as well.

I'll further stick my neck out and say that to me the most intimidating part of diving is the potential responsibility for someone else's life, and my personal decision that I have no business being someone else's buddy on any dive that I don't know I can carry out entirely myself. First I would never want to burden another diver and increase their risk, and second if they actually needed help couldn't I then become an instant solo diver with the additional task loading of a rescue?

Again I'm a fairly new diver so by no means am I advocating or advising anything, just displaying my particular aberrations and misconceptions as a warning to others.

Eric

I agree with TS&M and ericdiver on all points. It is way safer IMO with a buddy providing you are familiar with his skills and figure he is not likely to easily panic. As discussed a lot on SB, "insta-buddies" can be a big problem. But I liken this to wearing a seat belt. Yes, you can die if you get trapped by it in water or a fire. But by wearing it the percentages are way in your favour. Maybe not as much so with an "insta-buddy", but I still think you are better off with a buddy of some sort than going solo. Of course, if where you live limits access to a buddy, solo may be your choice.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, I'll dive solo with you any time :D

Seriously though, if I were you, I'd rack up (quite) a few more dives and some more training. Murphy is an utter bastard, and he pays special attention to risk-takers..

I do the vast majority of my dives solo, particularly when bug hunting. I can cover much more ground when bug hunting and am far more effective. I like the solitude and connection with the sea environment I get when I don't have to be constantly checking in with a buddy. I have advanced training all the way up through dive master and instructor with well over 500 dives logged. I only night dive solo in places that I am very familiar with and make sure that I am well equipped for emergencies: 18ft pony bottle, 3 lights, 2 knives, safety sausage, whistle, even an aerial distress flare that can be hand launched at the surface. To be a solo diver you need to be in very good shape as no one is there to pick you up if you get knocked over in surf. You need to be very calm and collected so that you don't trash and panic if you get tangled in kelp, or have any malfunction. Maintain your equipment well and know where everything is by feel. Solo diving can be a great experience but only for those experienced enough to do it right.

I agree with prior posts.. #1 you need to comfortable. #2You need to have procedures for issues #3 a Pony is a must!!

Back
Top Bottom