Solo diving after AOW ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow... thats a lot of input guys :)

The only reason i started this thread is because (believe it or not) I respect you guys and and your experience and because I value your input ! I don't agree totally on the fact that 'beause i'm asking the question, i'm not ready'. It was not my point to ask permission but more to ask advice !

I realize the risks and would never dive past my limits and comfort. Correct me if i'm wrong but there is a difference between some of the 'solo' cases discribed here and a shoredive in 20 ft of water with an actual bottom being there at 20 ft ?
The way i picture these dives is in fairly shallow water with a more or less sandy bottom without to much hassle. Anything more complicated than that i wouldn't consider doing solo just yet (or anytime for that matter).

One of the reasons i'm considering doing this is the lack of a buddy and trying to keep the cost down a little bit. I guess I don't have to elaborate on the cost of a holliday in the carribean (specially the caymans). If i bump into a diver that wants to dive with me i'l be more than happy to dive with a buddy.

As for my girlfriend... she is more than suportive of me diving and enjoying it and she will start diving herself soon (finances again).
Please don't think of me as a horrible guy leaving my girlfriend on the shore while i have all the fun. We have certain reasons to do things this way. On top of that, this way of diving gives me the oportunity to hit the water behind the place where we stay for 30mins or an hour and enjoy the rest of the day with my girlfriend.
If I have to book boatdives or dives trough a diveshop -except for the money - i'll be gone for the day (bet you didn't think about it that way ? )

Another reason is skillbuilding. IF the conditions are extremly divable (as in low risk) i see this as an oportunity to work on my skills and not as a bunch of dive to broaden my horizons and push my limits. Am I that wrong in considering these kinds of dives as low risk (as far as I realize that every dive has a certain risk factor)

To the comment about it being the end of the season and the rental gear badly being in need of servicing i agree, but except for a tank i won't need any. I bought all my gear about a week ago (and it's pretty good stuff) so i think it will still be ok by december.

And to finish off and in my own defense... Is anyone here trying to tell me to go to the Cayman Islands being a certified diver and enjoy the view (as in 'I wouldn't dive if i where you') ???

Would you... ?

Respectfully yours...

BartBe

Bartbe said:

As for my girlfriend... she is more than suportive of me diving and enjoying it and she will start diving herself soon (finances again).
Please don't think of me as a horrible guy leaving my girlfriend on the shore while i have all the fun. We have certain reasons to do things this way. On top of that, this way of diving gives me the oportunity to hit the water behind the place where we stay for 30mins or an hour and enjoy the rest of the day with my girlfriend.

In that case, go for it and enjoy!

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff once bubbled...
Bartbe said:

In that case, go for it and enjoy!

SeaRat

yep , I second that !
Go for it and enjoy, I would !
Maybe just ask the locals about any possible dangerous water currents, as they can be quite strong in some parts of the Caribbean!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom