Solo diving from a kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClevelandDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone who has actually done solo dives from a kayak have any tips/tricks/advice to share about the specific challenges presented, gear selection and techniques.

Not having tried it yet, one of the biggest concern that comes to mind is securing your kayak while you dive: do you fly a dive flag, tow or anchor, are curious/reckless boaters and/or jet skiers a huge problem.

There are a bunch of other general concerns I have, but I would imagine that there are even more challenges/concerns I haven't thought of that an experienced solo kayak diver could shed some light on.

I was reading another thread about dive kayak selection, and did not want to get into the whole solo diving debate with the general population so I thought I would check in here.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have (other than don't do it).

Once when I was doing a solo drift dive down the Sacramento River in my Royack several cars passing over a bridge called 911 and reported a kayak with no body in it. I was pulling the Royack with me. I was flying a dive flag but as usual that didn't matter. Anyway when I surfaced to check my position I had police cars lined up on the bridge and the CHP chopper hovering above me in the air. The Sheriffs dept was launching their boat and none of them was happy me. The biggest concern I have is that people don't know what a dive flag means and assume the vessel is adrift. I also had a doater begin to tie my boat to his and he was going to tow it away thinking it was adrift off the Fort Bragg coast in N. Calif. Luckily we ascended before he started towing it. We (3 of us) were hanging on the anchor line doing out safety stop. There should have been plenty of bubbles and there was a dive flag. Anyway, something else to think about.

icantdive55:
Once when I was doing a solo drift dive down the Sacramento River in my Royack several cars passing over a bridge called 911 and reported a kayak with no body in it. I was pulling the Royack with me. I was flying a dive flag but as usual that didn't matter. Anyway when I surfaced to check my position I had police cars lined up on the bridge and the CHP chopper hovering above me in the air. The Sheriffs dept was launching their boat and none of them was happy me. The biggest concern I have is that people don't know what a dive flag means and assume the vessel is adrift. I also had a doater begin to tie my boat to his and he was going to tow it away thinking it was adrift off the Fort Bragg coast in N. Calif. Luckily we ascended before he started towing it. We (3 of us) were hanging on the anchor line doing out safety stop. There should have been plenty of bubbles and there was a dive flag. Anyway, something else to think about.

That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was concerned about. Maybe someone could come up with an alarm system that detects approaching vessels and warns them to stay back 100 feet, diver below. Just kidding, that would just entice some morons even more.

Take a large speargun - with explosive tips - along. :D

I've not been solo diving from a kayak but I have done some kayak diving and the boats get left alone, no matter what. I was taught to anchor the boat securely, using fairly heavy line and a knot at the boat end that can't be untied. That won't keep some chucklehead from cutting the line but at least he's going to have to actively work for the prize. We also raised a dive flag on each 'yak and, except for the jet skiers, never had a problem.

ClevelandDiver:
Does anyone who has actually done solo dives from a kayak have any tips/tricks/advice to share about the specific challenges presented, gear selection and techniques... SNIP
I have (had, before Wilma may have blown it out to sea) a nice tandem diveyak and more-often-than-not am solo.

As posted before, we have a great reef system just 1,500 yards or so off the shore.

I suppose it's difficult to give "one size fits all" advice, since everybody's diving is different. We don't do much below 15-20 feet, so stops really don't complicate our dives, and we have bouys to tie too, so current and anchoring aren't major concerns (if there's a strong current we're usually not out in it).

So, FWIW, I find that paddling out, gearing-up in the water and then clipping the diveyak to my BC works best here. I'll occasionally tie up for a little while, but freedom from a fixed base is very nice. I've never used the kayak anchor I bought, and usually end up returning to shore underwater, diveyak in tow, rather than on top.

I find solo diving from a diveyak to be extremely free and pleasant. Because of our depth, I can hang my sling, snare and game bag from the diveyak and retreive whatever' necessary for the opportunity.

So, no complaints or complications here. Anything specific we can help you with?

i fly a dive flag when diving from my kayak. people out here know what it means for the most part, but some jet skiers tend to think that we are just making a slalom course for them. so watch out.

Not extensive experience but a little. I have generally towed my kayak. I have not been bothered by Homeland Defense or other boats or such as that except for some sort of Florida quasi marine patrol that needed to be all puffed up by my underwater excursions and I basically told them to k---never mind--- but I am sure it happens and eventually will. I fly a flag, often tow a secondary flag and leave a note on the boat---Diver Below, leave my freak'n boat alone!! I have considered making a small banner up to fly on a second flag. I usually anchor to begin with and then when at the bottom pick up my anchor and head off. A few times I have just jumped in towing the kayak with a cave type reel.

Carry a rescue pouch with flare, cylume light, signal mirror, safety sausage, whistle and maybe some dye pouch. I don't have any die yet but everything else I do have.

The kayak I recommend is the OK Scupper Pro TW. I might consider the OK Prowler 13, Cobra Tourer etc.

I have dived in water as deep as 80 feet but the deeper you dive the more line you end up out and the farther you get from the safety of your boat. I would not solo dive farther out from shore than you can swim back (not point of origin but point of safety), at least at first. Kayaks like the Scupper are pretty fast and seaworthy and can carry you pretty good distance quickly and there is the temptation to head out into the open sea. Don't get yourself into a predicament from which you have no escape.

Take this as a joke because I am not being serious but there was a thread about carrying handguns in the water, if there was ever an excuse then solo from a kayak might be it, someone tries to steal your boat shoot over their head---lol-----this is not being serious--please do not do this.

Back on the marine patrols, they are mostly looking for people to ticket for fishing, spearing etc illegally so as to increase revenue and justify their existence. You, on a kayak are an easy target for these yahoos. Since I do not spear or fish or any of that they really have no buisness bothering me or you. One guy asked my name and I told him Mike Nelson, he actually wrote it down. I think they may still be trying to find ol' Mike. These same things could happen if you were on a private motorboat so give the kayak a try--I think you will find it hugely fun. N

Let me add this, the rescue pouch stays with the diver, the boat has it's own equipment including a marine radio or cell phone, flares, maybe an extra collapsable paddle, a bilge pump (small handheld pump made for kayaks to bail them out), a sponge. Always leash your paddle, keep hatches closed except when actually accessing them, get a real life jacket made for kayaking and I carry some pool noodles stuffed into the hull for whatever. In some states including Florida any dive flag attached to the boat must be the 24 inch flag and if you put the flag on a secondary float tied to the boat and even tie your anchor or tow line to that--in any case that flag need not be the 24 inch flag. Last few times I had a opportunity to use the kayak I flew two flags, the second flag on a float behind the boat about 20 feet and a large flag on the boat and my anchor/towline off the bow cleat. Do not use a heavy poly ski line, use a nylon line on a reel or such as that. I am not sure what test my line is but it is not all that big. Use common sense there obviously. Make up some tethers and bungees to tie off gear for entry and exit. That is about all I know. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom