Solo diving in Maine ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're funded with the diver's tax dollars and owned by the citizens of this country, not its administrators: I would dive them as I saw fit and deal with any issues afterwards, so long as my doing so wasn't placing the park/dive site at risk. At most, I suspect you'd be looking at a nominal civil fine and even then only if the ranger had one Hell of a bug up his/her ass. Ask permission, beg forgiveness, etc.

In my case, your solo diving would cost me my permit to operate in a state park, since the Dry Tortugas has no dive team.... And no LE rangers that dive.... so they make me enforce the rules. I am not a ranger that dives, so if I can't see you, I have no idea what you are doing.

I thought solo was permitted on the spree so long as certified properly equipped and subject to the capt.'s discretion based upon conditions etc.

Dry Tortugas National Park prohibits solo diving, gloves, and knives. The permit holder (that's me) is responsible to ensure all park rules are followed. That's why we don't dive in the park much.....

In my case, your solo diving would cost me my permit to operate in a state park, since the Dry Tortugas has no dive team.... And no LE rangers that dive.... so they make me enforce the rules. I am not a ranger that dives, so if I can't see you, I have no idea what you are doing.

I think the issue was shore diving; if you're in the park by virture of a permitted private charter's bringing you there, that's more akin to private property's restrictions IMO.

I agree. The point is that government entities (state, federal, municipal and county) place restrictions on diving when they have no idea what they are talking about. It's easy to say "no solo diving". Much harder to say "No semi-closed circuit rebreathers, and manual rebreathers with mass flow orfices are OK, and CCR's are fine on Tuesday, but if your sensor is more than 6 months old, you have to analyze your gas".

Best to check the rules before you go. In Falmouth Foreside, Maine, you may not dive at Town Landing, but if you walk down the beach 20 yards, you may go for it.. But you can't park at Town Landing if you do so. The harbormaster have you towed.

Actually, I'd probably dive at 2 lights or Biddeford Pool, since I grew up there, That wall behind our old house has to be awesome. As a 6 year old, it seemed to have an endless height. I have no idea how deep it is....

I know those sites well. Winter storms this year cleaned up the shoreline at 2 Lights making it very shore diver friendly for now. Feel free to ping me when you are in the neighborhood if you're looking for company.

Pete

Diver Ed is teaching a PADI Self-Reliant Diver (solo) courses in Bar Harbor. A lot of us dive solo when we scallop dive in the winter and as far as I know there are no rules againist it.

When I was a Maine State Park Ranger years ago, the rules were no solo diving and all divers needed to present their C-cards and driver's license to the Receptionist (fee taker) who held them until the divers left the park. I dive a few times each year at Kettle Cove (which is considered part of Crescent Beach SP) and we're supposed to check in with the gate, but nobody ever does. If a ranger happens to be in the area, they'll usually take your name and license plate just in case.

Yea, I haven't been card for 2 or 3 years at Kettle Cove (Cape Elizabeth Maine) , even with rangers present. It was a PITA when they's show up after we were suited and heading for the home stretch.

Remember to not load your speargun until under water. I was suprised they even allowed them!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom