• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Solo Diving: It's time to set the record straight

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by adventure dude, May 13, 2010.

1. scuba=dude

scuba=dude Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I'm sure If I had a sailboat and was taking pay-divers out on it, I would more then likly make them have dive buddys too............

2. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    And the reason for this would be what? I solo dive. My students know I solo dive, and they also know that it is in no way for them at their level. I explain the training and experience I have, the gear, and the mindset. If new divers are so badly trained that they don't recognize the risks of going it alone then why should I be penalized for the shortcomings of their training. Make me buddy up with someone I don;t know? OK, but you will pay me for that and they will sign a waiver.

Won't let me dive without one if I choose to? OK as well. I'll just spend my money with someone else. The nanny state mentality is going too far and intruding into too many aspects of peoples lives. This is what leads to accidents. No one takes responsibility for themselves. And dive ops just encourage it in more and more instances.

3. scuba=dude

scuba=dude Solo Diver

I'm with you on this 100% I get really upset to hear others that don't solo talk trash about making "laws" about solo diving. If anything it has made me a much better solo diver, I seek out places where there no other divers around so I don't have to put up with there bul!ship. I can say thruthfuly I have way more solo dives then dives with a buddy......some of these hard-core partyliners make me whant to throw up (hopefuly not in my reg)
    When you get right down to it Most divers that really are into diving and get all there gear will at some point go solo as they will find that they can't find enough "buddys" to keep up with there drive to dive. Or so it seems to me
    I don't under stand why so many non-solo divers feel thy need to come on a SOLO thred and try to tell solo divers there doing somthing wrong. maybe they should go on the beginners thred and try telling the new-be's not to solo, You know try and head them off before they think about going solo...you know like PADI dose!

4. MauiScubaSteve

MauiScubaSteve Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Here in Hawaii 99% of all charter boat diving is guided; even if you and your buddy were SDI solo instructors you would most likely not be allowed to not dive with the guide. If you are a current or past guide for that company then you might get to dive solo / without the guide.

I am unable to find many accident reports due to this nanny state of conduct. :idk:

5. MauiScubaSteve

MauiScubaSteve Instructor, Scuba

As a working PADI instructor who solo's a lot; I do not feel like there are a bunch of non solo divers posting on this solo forum, I do not feel like PADI tries to "head newb's off" from going solo and I do not think "most divers who are really into diving will at some point solo."

I know hundreds of very active, very experienced divers, including dozens of current instructors, and only a small minority ever dive solo.

6. deepwater

deepwater Solo Diver

I believe every solo diver has his/her own reason for doing it. For a person to make an assumption as to why I do it, would just make themselves out to be a fool. I personally do it for the same reason I ride my Harley alone. I like to be alone. As for being certified to do it, well lets see. SDI has been certing divers since 1999, I've been doing it since 1979. Sooo, I should spend stupid money just to make some meathead on a boat happy. I don't think so, homey don't play that. I guess I'll just keep diving alone from my own boat.

Just one old mans thoughts.

7. scuba=dude

scuba=dude Solo Diver

that nice nice and I'm sure you speak for them all..................

8. Thalassamania

Thalassamania Diving Polymath ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I fear you miss the point. The fact of the matter is, regardless of how the victim starts the dive, it is very common for the moment of truth (so to speak) to go unwitnessed and unassisted.
    I suspect that if a buddy had you on the surface in under 2 minutes that would make a difference in many of the cases.
    Very few, because there is so rarely a buddy there.
    I could not agree more. Consider the safety record of scientific diving, we only do buddy diving, we only do team diving, I hesitate to call it “unified” because of the baggage that term can carry.
    I’d rather solo (and I never solo)!
    Hear! Hear!
    So find buddies that are similarly trained and capable. It is possible. Or train some yourself, as an instructor or as a mentor.
    Yup.
    I would not let anyone solo on any operation that I am in charge of.
    Most of the accidents are unwitnessed, so they might as well be solo. A healthy, fit diver has less chance of having trouble than a an out of shape, undiagnosed health issue diver, similarly a healthy, fit diver has less chance of having trouble when buddied with a similar diver than when diving alone.
    I’ve been on the Doria several times, always as part of a well oiled team … never an incident of any sort.

9. sylpha

sylpha Solo Diver

i can't solo dive when i'm on holiday. neither can i buddy dive with my husband. we both have knocking on the door of a thousand sives under our weight belts, been diving for nearly 20 years, but our insurance says we have to dive with an instructor.

i can understand how a dive skipper in the US would insist on buddy pairs and on seeing some kind of qualification - self preservation against being sued. hence a gap in the market for solo qualifications. having the certificate only means that you finished the course & answered all the questions on the day.

i can well understand how a skipper who knows his customers might turn a blind eye to needing to see qualifications and i can well understand how a couple of divers might enter the water at the same time & get seperated:)

10. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop