• less safe than buddy diving

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • certain death

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • undecided

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my "assigned" buddies wouldn't know how to get back to the boat if I left them, so you could say that buddy diving is much safer than solo for them...
But if you ask me, the answer is: I don't care... I won't put myself in a situation that I can't handle, and if it happened (in some way) anyway - I don't think that this kind of buddy would be of any help.

But I still prefer diving with buddies since I like human company (to a certain extent)...

MikeFerrara:
Most diving fatalities involve fins too. So?
Most divers who die diving are alone when they do. Very rarely is there a eye witness.

In most diving situations, the only rational way to justify diving alone is just because you want to. Trying to justify it based on "flaws in the buddy system" which are really just examples of divers who don't know how to dive in a team make one sound like an idiot. Willingly diving with a poor buddy because some DM tells you to doesn't make you look to slick either.
If you just want to be alone underwater and understand the risks then have at it but argueing that you do it because there's something inherantly wrong with the buddy system is obsurd.

This pool is about solo and buddy diving. It has nothing to do with fins.

Your choice of words very clearly reflects your intelligence. Before you start anymore name calling, please review the rules for posting. Thank you.

I am an solo diver. Not by choice, but by location.

I would much rather dive with a good buddy, and many times I do. My favorite buddy and I are both well equiped to dive solo, but we dive together. It is convienient. One runs the reel while the other fishes. The next dive we switch. Works great.

He can only dive once a month. After that I'm on my own. Most divers I end up with a buddies are low on air in 15 minutes. After that I'm solo.

Am I safer solo? I'm safer than with the newbie, but not safer than when I'm with my good buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom