solo diving sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far, I have run into only a few problems that have caused me to exclude certain sites from solo diving.

I usually dive solo in doubles, so any site that requires a long or difficult walk in doubles is RIGHT OUT!

Additionally, there needs to be parking close by. I am not interested in leaving my dive gear on the beach unattended, driving away to park the car, and then running back to my gear on the beach.

I have excluded a couple of areas that I thought were possible high risk for entanglement. These areas all have poor visibility and known entanglement hazards such a large number of dead trees in the water, or crumbling man-made structures underwater.

Poor visibility by itself is not an exclusion, many of my solo areas have visibility in the range of 6 inches to 6 feet. When the reservoirs are drained in the autumn, I can see that there is nothing there to worry about.

Other than that, the pool is open! Don't need no stinkin' buddy! I have no problem exploring a new area solo, exceptions noted above. I do, however, explore a new area progressively. When the visibility is 6 inches, I don't jet down to 100 feet on my first dive, I may dive 2 or 3 times there before I get that deep...

Thanks to all for your replies. Obviously, there are a lot of variables to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom