Solo Diving - The Art of Underwater Self Sufficiency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Solo Diving - The Art of Underwater Self Sufficiency by Robert Von Maier - Watersport Books, San Diego.

An excellent book that clears up much of the confusion with solo diving. In short you need redundancy, good water skills and common sense to be a successful solo diver. I would never dive solo in a hazardous situation and personally do not like deep dives while solo. That being said, I dive solo all the time as I do very little tech dives or hazardous dives. In the end it is up to the individual and how much risk they take on while solo.

Safe Diving

I found that book had a lot of philosophical stuff about the pros and cons of solo diving, but it didn't have the information I really needed on gear configuration etc. Also the gas management section was not that great IMO.

allenwrench:
Solo Diving - The Art of Underwater Self Sufficiency by Robert Von Maier - Watersport Books, San Diego.

An excellent book that clears up much of the confusion with solo diving. In short you need redundancy, good water skills and common sense to be a successful solo diver. I would never dive solo in a hazardous situation and personally do not like deep dives while solo. That being said, I dive solo all the time as I do very little tech dives or hazardous dives. In the end it is up to the individual and how much risk they take on while solo.

Safe Diving

DeepBound:
I found that book had a lot of philosophical stuff about the pros and cons of solo diving, but it didn't have the information I really needed on gear configuration etc. Also the gas management section was not that great IMO.

I felt the same.

It is worth reading but somehow it is just not complete.N

I agree. I enjoyed reading it and took some good things from it. It did not however answer some questions regarding gear and a few other things but maybe it's because as solo divers we are all different and our gear requirements and configurations are really up to us to determine via needs and experience. I do dive solo deep(up to 120ft or so so far). I just finished reading Fatal Depth, The Last Dive, and Shadow Divers. The thing I found most interesting and useful was that deep tech wreck dives are for a large part solo. At 200 plus it is clear that you and you alone are going to save your *** if it hits the fan. Can't wait to start tech training!

Yes, book is mostly composed of testimonials of why solo is appropriate for some divers and then discusses some of the basics. I did not find it negative on soloing myslef.

Solo diving does not have much in print - anything you guys come across to supplement solo diving info where this book left off?

I thought the book was horrible.... Well not completely. As I was reading the first chapter I thought to myself 'this is some pretty good info', but then it went downhill - quickly.

It sits on the shelf now and I know that I won't ever pick it up again.

hex92:
I thought the book was horrible.... Well not completely. As I was reading the first chapter I thought to myself 'this is some pretty good info', but then it went downhill - quickly.

It sits on the shelf now and I know that I won't ever pick it up again.

I was really glad it was so short... I couldn't take any more> HAHAHA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom