solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't know if this is the correct forum and I realize this ia a heated topic (not looking to create a controversy or heated debat).

What are your thoughts about solo diving from shore at a depth no greater then 15-20 ft? I'd love to take a couple of tanks with me the next time I go with the wife and kids, they can enjoy a day in the sun and with a little luck I can catch a few bugs.

I would never think of doing a depth greater then 20 ft without a buddy but at the sight I'm thinking of your usually 15' down to get to the lobsters.

Simple solution. If you have to ask, your not ready. Nobody knows better than you if your ready to go solo or not.

Shallow, as some think, is not a safer place to dive.

Gary D.

You don't have to worry about running out of air at that depth - somebody who can't swim up from 20' shouldn't be let into a scuba class in the first place. Neither will you have to worry about getting bent.

But there are tons of other problems you can get yourself into, such as getting hit by a boat, stuck in a bad current, hit by a wave, banging your head in a lobster hole, etc. that would be much easier to deal with if you had somebody to help out.

So, it is up to you to think of these potential risks and whether or not it's worth it to you. It's the same with most things in life, really.

Snowbear:
You should also discuss the risks and their potential consequences (like death) with your wife.... she and the kids would be affected by those consequences as well!

He is probably more ar risk driving to and from work. Should that be a joint decision too. Honey, I have to drive to work today and I could get killed in a accident, should I go. Come on.

captain:
He is probably more ar risk driving to and from work. Should that be a joint decision too. Honey, I have to drive to work today and I could get killed in a accident, should I go. Come on.

The difference is the risks of driving to work are known to his wife. Solo diving may not be.

That being said, I solo dive in that area (Pebble beach) and its not all that bad. The worst thing thats happened is me getting tangled up in my damn flag line. Watch the currents, carry a little redundancy, and go to it

captain:
Yep he is. As is she. But as Scuba Six noted, she knows and understands the risks.

Since she's not a diver, she should be informed and understand the increased risk her husband is undertaking by diving solo..... like if he gets entangled and no-one knew exactly where he was when he was overdue from a dive ~ that his body may not be recovered is one consequence many folks don't care to experience when a loved one bites the big one.

Many of us don't conform and experiment with our choice of rig. Do our own risk assessment and accept the fact we will live or die with the consequences. I'd say I was normally easy going, but I find ignorant people telling me what to do, makes me homicidal.

My first rule is to phone home and let family know I am going and expect a call in about two hours from my return. I have done 30-40 dives solo and the one thing I can say is it forces you to evaluate your equipment and keeping everything clean and working. If this is your first solo dive and you have your own equipment and are familiar and have it serviced on schedule great , have fun. IF you are renting any piece other than the tank and weights . DONT GO, rental equipment is usually crap and I would not trust it.

rubberduck:
I don't know if this is the correct forum and I realize this ia a heated topic (not looking to create a controversy or heated debat).

What are your thoughts about solo diving from shore at a depth no greater then 15-20 ft? I'd love to take a couple of tanks with me the next time I go with the wife and kids, they can enjoy a day in the sun and with a little luck I can catch a few bugs.

I would never think of doing a depth greater then 20 ft without a buddy but at the sight I'm thinking of your usually 15' down to get to the lobsters.
yes this is a heated topic, and there is a group on SB that is totally against solo diving. I have no problem with solo diving because I solo alot. The bottom line is think and be carefull, that's all. weather your at 15 feet or 150 you still need an ascent plan from depth.

step by step we all are headed for a grave. The question is , how are you going to live your life? being told not to do thing by others is a good way to stay with a hurd of cattle, but staying with the hurd means your stepping in somebody elses BS.

I say go forth and live

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom