Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, this is exactly the place to have these discussions. At least here you are more or less going to get responses from people who either solo or are seriously considering it, as opposed to posts from people who would never consider it and have little worthwile to add.

Wow, another "should I bbe soloing?" thread. This is fantastic. You all give some of the best lunchtime entertainment I can imagine. I may have to start reading here before my daily Dilbert Blog ritual.

:rofl3:

One other (separate) thing I'd like to bring up. Sorry if this causes a temporary hijack, but I think it should be considered: is the solo forum the proper place to be addressing questions like this?

I know the OP didn't start it here, which, to me, makes the question all the more pertinent. SB staff moved the thread here, though it does seem to violate the spirit of the sticky for this forum. It seems that such questions are best addressed here. The topic is volatile enough here; the flames generated by posts external to this forum might well be enough to burn down all of SB. If it be the case that questions such as this are best handled here, I propose an amendment of the forum rules.

Consistency seems healthy.

Well I thought this thread should have stayed where it was, unless the OP asked otherwise (which they did). I really don't think everything solo related (particularly questions like this) should be moved here as there is no harm in leaving threads about solo diving for other non- or possibly-future solo divers to read in the main forum. Yes, it is a controversial topic, one of many on Scubaboard though :wink: so that shouldn't mean all threads be moved here to avoid flame wars. I notice there is no Spare-Air opt in forum, or Split Fin forum, for example, and they always result in flame wars! :p

I think this forum should more be for people who have started solo diving already as the answers to people asking if they should solo dive will generally be the same from each person, some will encourage, some will advise more experience, etc. Maybe we could condense it all into a Sticky or something :) I was actually going to avoid posting on any thread like this in the solo forum because of this, and this time I posted cos it was in the Basic Forum, but it got moved! :)

I agree, this is exactly the place to have these discussions. At least here you are more or less going to get responses from people who either solo or are seriously considering it, as opposed to posts from people who would never consider it and have little worthwile to add.

I disagree that those who do not solo would have little worthwhile to add. I personally like to hear all sides of an argument. People have valid reasons why they choose not to solo dive. I have a number of buddies who feel that it is excessively risky and I respect their decision and they respect mine. The main problem is if people start becoming disrespectful, but the Basic Scuba forum (where this was first posted) has rules against that and you can report any post you feel is flaming.

You are probably right, that was bad phrasing on my part. I was thinking more of the flaming type reactionary responses the question often devolves into.

Here is my take on someone asking about solo diving. Give them the route you took to solo, such as training, experience, etc. Tell them the equipment you use. Tell them where and and what conditions you have soloed in. Tell them it is their decision to make when they feel ready. Pretty simple.

I don't know, the flaming's kind of fun to read.

I guess there's an argument either way. It is nice to at least *try* to get a more holistic picture involving opinions of people who don't solo.

In the end, I suppose I don't really have an opinion on the specifics of where it should be. I'd just like to see consistency between the forum rules and forum topics, whatever form that takes. Otherwise, things become overly complicated- especially for those who like to search threads for history before posting a new thread :wink:

Here is my take on someone asking about solo diving. Give them the route you took to solo, such as training, experience, etc. Tell them the equipment you use. Tell them where and and what conditions you have soloed in. Tell them it is their decision to make when they feel ready. Pretty simple.

Captain: Best darned advice to date in any of the recent solo threads. It totally eliminates the need for flame-proof undergarments, and gets the person asking the question some real-life examples to think about when making a decision about solo diving. Thanks Cap'n!

To Eddie: Following the Captain's outline:

-I have no formal "solo" training. So "I'm no Expert" :D
-My 1st solo was about dive #10 after OW certification in 1976.
-All of my solo dives to date have been shore dives. Most here in Hilo at sites I know well.
-No special "solo" equipment. In the 1970's and early 80's, it was a steel 72, Calypso "J" regulator, SPG, plastic "campack" style harness, weight belt, traditional knife, NO BC.
-Less than 20% of my total dives are solo. All have been in Hawaii, <80 feet. Today when I solo it is <60 feet, and mostly at 30-40 feet.
-I have dove in "marginal" conditions solo when I was in my 20's.
-Today I only dive solo in "good" or "excellent" conditions, which I define as fair weather, calm ocean and viz >40 feet. So nowadays I'm a "fair-weather" solo diver :D
-My equipment today is not terribly different from 1976, I dive with a single steel 72 or AL80, BP/W, 90% Hogarthian configuartion. I use a 5' primary hose, bungied 2nd. I carry one traditional knife, and two small backup's (just because).
-The atmosphere is still my redundant air source.

The above works for me in the conditions I dive in. If I dove deeper, or lived in another part of the world (as in colder water with lower viz) I'd do things differently.

Cheers.

Captain: Best darned advice to date in any of the recent solo threads. It totally eliminates the need for flame-proof undergarments, and gets the person asking the question some real-life examples to think about when making a decision about solo diving. Thanks Cap'n!

To Eddie: Following the Captain's outline:

-I have no formal "solo" training. So "I'm no Expert" :D
-My 1st solo was about dive #10 after OW certification in 1976.
-All of my solo dives to date have been shore dives. Most here in Hilo at sites I know well.
-No special "solo" equipment. In the 1970's and early 80's, it was a steel 72, Calypso "J" regulator, SPG, plastic "campack" style harness, weight belt, traditional knife, NO BC.
-Less than 20% of my total dives are solo. All have been in Hawaii, <80 feet. Today when I solo it is <60 feet, and mostly at 30-40 feet.
-I have dove in "marginal" conditions solo when I was in my 20's.
-Today I only dive solo in "good" or "excellent" conditions, which I define as fair weather, calm ocean and viz >40 feet. So nowadays I'm a "fair-weather" solo diver :D
-My equipment today is not terribly different from 1976, I dive with a single steel 72 or AL80, BP/W, 90% Hogarthian configuartion. I use a 5' primary hose, bungied 2nd. I carry one traditional knife, and two small backup's (just because).
-The atmosphere is still my redundant air source.

The above works for me in the conditions I dive in. If I dove deeper, or lived in another part of the world (as in colder water with lower viz) I'd do things differently.

Cheers.

Captain a great idea, this works for me without any bickering, these type of experiances (good and bad) are all the novice would need to help, and if everyone followed this lead then there would be a wealth of information for all to see. Thanks to leadturn for starting what hopefully will be the answer to all questions on soloing.

Well I started it so I guess I have to pay up.

I taught myself to dive because in 1957 the nearest certification course, LA County was 2500 miles away.
I also had no buddies as other divers were few and far between at that time so my first dives were solo and mostly in a low vis but shallow lake.
I have done a lot of spearfishing which tends to be either solo or same ocean buddy.
The gear I used then and now is basic gear, no redundancy other than cutting devices which is usually three, knife, shears and diagonal wire cutters.
My deepest solo was about 135 feet on oil rigs while spearfishing.
Almost all of my solo dives have been from boats.
I almost always have topside support on the boat to keep the boat in position.

-First solo dive was dive 49. This was too early in hindsight. Not because I was nervous about diving solo, but equipment wise I was not prepared *at all*. For example, I got entangled on my ascent but had met up with other divers for the ascent so was helped out that way (no knife on me :shakehead:).

-Done quite a few "same ocean" type dives with buddies since then. Where if I got into trouble I would have been on my own. However, I find this a very different situation than the few dives I have done on my own as I still worry about another person and what they are up to and I do not enjoy this type of dive as a result.

-Done a few dives on my own starting recently (when my buddy was on holidays). I would like to do more, but my regular buddy does not want to do solo dives and as I dive with him each week, I will struggle to do frequent solo dives. Been checking out places local to me, and have found a few I can get to midweek after work for solo dives though :)

-Plan to stick to mainly shore dives, in particular, pier dives, max depth about 9m (deeper requires a boat or a long long surface swim). Charters, afaik, do not allow solo diving, so not really an option. I have someone on the surface who knows my dive plan and when to expect me out of the water - usually I call my partner to know what I am up to (I always do this when diving with a buddy also).

-Conditons at these shore dives can range from 0-20m viz. Average 5-10m. Can be very calm or strong surge. If I would dive the site with a buddy in the conditions then I would dive it solo. Entries and exits are easy at most of the sites I usually go to.

-I have started solo diving because sometimes I just need to be on my own on a dive and not have to worry about a buddy. It is very relaxing and peaceful and I can do what I want and not have to worry about what other people are wanting to do OR I don't have to do what other people want to do on a dive. I really enjoy diving with buddies and I have a very reliable regular buddy but I have to admit, the vast majority of problems I have experienced on a dive have been because of a buddy. So yea, need a break from that potential sometimes. I do feel solo diving is more risky than buddy diving with my regular buddy (with other buddies, that is very dependent) but to me the benefits outweigh the risk. I know one day I could screw up big time or something medical could happen but I think the probability of either is low.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom