Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest sign I see here that the OP might actually have the mindset for solo diving at some point (not neccesarilly now, and not without learning about it) is the fact that he does seek advice and he DOES have worries wether or not he should be doing it.
Just doing it without seeking information about it and giving it second thought would be the biggest pointer that he shouldnt do it.
The day I dont see any risks with the dive Im planning to do is the day I leave my dive gear where I store it and just go do something else instead as I know im not mentally prepared. And yes its happened a few times.

I was thinking it would be a possible way to improve my experiance and tecnique in a seemingly simple shallow environment, QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking, just watch out for the GIANT MAN EATING CLAMS. I started solo diving almost immediatley after a two day certification class followed by a two year hiatus from diving. It started with being "buddied" with strangers on dive boats, then I found myself in a place with shallow beach diving and instructors telling me it was okay to dive solo even though, in retrospect, I probably had no business diving at all. So..... I haven't died yet (there's still time) , I probablly still have no business diving, I probably relied on luck and instinct too much, and am still trying to figure it all out. In 24' of water, in front of your house, sounds like a fantastic place to figure stuff out. If you break your leg on the beach, you may have other stuff you need to figure out first. If the MAN EATING CLAMS get you, then it's just bad luck or bad instincts, and no amount of training can fix that.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to Solo Diving

saspotato
I am sorry but I am not narky ! However your opening comment in your first post was a bit much, the remainder of that post did nothing but to repeat what I had already concluded for myself from earlier posts.

saspotato
I am sorry but I am not narky ! However your opening comment in your first post was a bit much, the remainder of that post did nothing but to repeat what I had already concluded for myself from earlier posts.

Well actually, I didn't think you were but with that last comment I've changed my mind :wink:

With my first comment, I *specifically* said it was not directed at you, but people in general. Really, get over it dude, if you come on the net and ask for advice, don't complain about the advice you are given. A "bit much" :shakehead: Threads like this are for lots of people to read, so even if you decide a certain thing other people reading the threads with similar questions might want to hear more info.

I have noticed, many references to solo diving on this site, and as new divers we are always advised to always dive with a buddy, now I live smack bang in front of the med
and right in front of my house is a small cove with a flat bottom depth of 15 to 20 feet having very little current movement, nothing spectacular, but ideal for practice dives, I am pritty convinced and confident, that nothing could trouble me here, and should I have a problem, I could assend "ooa" with ease. so the big question would it be fool hardy to take such a chance alone, or is this something many people do ?

It is my policy as an experienced solo diver both within NDL and deco profile diving....never to recommend this form of the sport to anyone....WHY you ask--- simple, it is an inner decision each has to make on his own terms weighing a number of variables.

Solo diving IMHO is as safe as buddy diving when the additional protocols/gear required are met and the diver has suff. experience and good common sense.

SDI offers a Solo Diver program for someone whom might feel this a good way of being introduced to the basics.

I approach all my diving and progression in small steps, this works best for me.

Happy and safe diving.

Wow, did all this happen in one day? Kind of proves my point in the other thread when I proposed that this was the correct forum to ask these questions.

Welcome to the solo sub forum eddie. There are many different people here with a variety of backgrounds and different thoughts about soloing. The one thing that most of us agree on though is that, ultimately, it is the individual who must make the decision as they are the ones who will pay the price. I (along with others) recently described my approach to soloing here if you are interested http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/262520-soloist.html but be warned, it's a bit of a long read.
I also totally agree with Bob; there are no stupid questions. Ask away!
Stick around if you wish and read through some other posts. You will get a better insight into the pros and cons of soloing so, when and if you decide to do so, you will be better informed. I would suggest looking both at what people do, and why. Often the why influences the how and when to some degree.

Sas, I bit my tongue in the last thread but now I have to ask: For someone who puts such an emphasis on experience do you really feel qualified to suggest who should or should not solo based on your one solo dive? Or is it relevant? Do you want people to focus on the intelligence of your comments or to fixate on your low solo dive count?
In my (not so humble) opinion, we would all be of greater service in this sub forum talking about what we do and not so much talking about what other people should do.

Curious how you respond when the shoe is on the other foot.

Dale.

I tripped over with all my kit on the other day when I was diving alone and walking back to my car on slippery ground, I was fine luckily (sore wrist for a few days though) but it was a wake up call to be more careful even when I get out of the water when my buddy isn't around!
Just curious; when you dive with a buddy, and then walking back to your car; is that buddy always at the ready you just might trip and fall - so ready to grab you to prevent you falling and hurting your wrist? Are you ready and able to keep the buddy from tripping and falling down and hurting their wrist?

Just curious; when you dive with a buddy, and then walking back to your car; is that buddy always at the ready you just might trip and fall - so ready to grab you to prevent you falling and hurting your wrist? Are you ready and able to keep the buddy from tripping and falling down and hurting their wrist?
Its a bit different laying all night on the beach with a broken leg alone than lying on the beach with a broken leg and someone to help you..

Sas, I bit my tongue in the last thread but now I have to ask: For someone who puts such an emphasis on experience do you really feel qualified to suggest who should or should not solo based on your one solo dive? Or is it relevant? Do you want people to focus on the intelligence of your comments or to fixate on your low solo dive count?
In my (not so humble) opinion, we would all be of greater service in this sub forum talking about what we do and not so much talking about what other people should do.

Curious how you respond when the shoe is on the other foot.

Dale.

I haven't done one solo dive actually, I have done a few but that is besides the point (though a few of them were due to a buddy abandonment so not really what I consider a true solo dive!). I am open about my experience, hence my log at the bottom so people can see my experience and make a judgment as to how qualified I am to comment. But I am more giving advice based on my fairly recent thought process about whether I should start solo diving :) I find it is useful to have comments from very experienced solo divers as well as noobs like us two as often the experienced people forget what it is like to be new and the n00bs have less experience to base their opinions on :)

Many people have low dive totals (myself for example, I only have just over 100 dives and have only been diving since February this year) but still have intelligent things to say (I can think of many new divers here who have given great advice) and are often dismissed due to lack of experience. For example, I think a lot of what you say is very well thought out, despite your lack of diving experience. I don't recall dismissing what you had to say based on your experience though (please quote me if I have because I am sure it would be unintentional) but I can understand when others do. I personally do not care if others are dismissive of me based on my log or any other thing, its an internet forum :p

Anyway, I never told the OP not to solo dive, again I just stated some things I thought were relevant (and stuff I thought about myself over the last few months). S/he seemed to get narky at people (including myself) who were just trying to help, which I think is kinda lame.

redrover:

Sometimes he has. I am a fairly clumsy person :wink: I more meant he would be able to walk back to the car if I hurt myself bad and call an ambulance, rather than catching me though :rofl3: Actually I got knocked out of a boat the other day so nearly fell and my former OW instructor who happened to be on the same boat teaching a class tried to help but instead accidently hit me in the face. I guess perhaps getting out of a boat solo would have been more advisable in that circumstance...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom