Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay guys I think I have now heared enough, to tell me that I am not experianced enough to even contenplate a solo dive, my thoughts were to increase my experiance and tecnique, however I now see I need to learn to walk before I can run. I will check out the solo section. for future reference, but for now thanks for all your coments, they were all of help.

This sounds like the perfect place to learn and you seem to have the confidence. However if you have fewer than 24 dives as your bio indicates you should probably get a little more experience before you do this. Also carry a pony bottle, not that you need it in 24' of water, but more as a matter of good practice. Is the area clear of possible entanglements - fishing line, etc? Maybe you can find another solo diver to dive a few times with you and show you how it can be safely done and what possible problems to consider in advance. Get a little more experience and then have this as a goal. A good solo diver is a better buddy diver.

Whats important to remember when you solo dive is that the dive dont start when you enter the water and end when you come back up. You need to get to and from the site safely as well and something as simple as walking into the water could be a big problem. What happens if you break your leg on the beach for example?

Thanks again, the dive site has no obvious problem of entanglement, my front door overlooks the beach and I would have ensured that I had some cover/knowledge from the beach, however that was my thoughts a few hours ago, as pointed out above I realise I lack the experiance to go it alone. so be well advised, be clear of mind, and be safe.

What happens if you break your leg on the beach for example?

Or what if a flaming meteor comes down from outer space and becomes entangled with the snorkle you are wearing on your head?

Or what if a flaming meteor comes down from outer space and becomes entangled with the snorkle you are wearing on your head?
If you want to be a moron about it thats fine, but slipping on wet rocks and breaking your leg is a very real scenario as my dad experienced first hand last year and he didnt even wear 50 pounds of dive gear. Fortunately for him there was people who could help him around, which it WONT be if youre solo diving.

In my opinion, if one has to post on an internet forum asking a bunch of strangers if they are ready to solo dive, then they are not. It shows they don't know their own limits, something you really should have worked out before you start solo diving. Not trying to have a go at you eddie, but that is just what I think in general about people who are thinking about solo diving.

I also think, with 0-24 dives, most divers are not ready to solo dive as they do not have enough experience to be able to handle problems. Fair enough, most dives go off without a hitch but the more you dive the better you will be able to handle any problems. You mention just swimming to the surface if you go OOG or have a problem, but CESA should be the option of last resort, even on shallow dives. Again that shows a limited understanding of the importance of solving problems underwater.

Tigerman made a good point about how the dive doesn't end when you get out of the water. You can have accidents on your own on exit or entry and without a buddy there that can cause problems as well. I tripped over with all my kit on the other day when I was diving alone and walking back to my car on slippery ground, I was fine luckily (sore wrist for a few days though) but it was a wake up call to be more careful even when I get out of the water when my buddy isn't around!

Anyway, I am not trying to tell you not to do it, that's your call and I don't know you to be able to give specific advice as to the location you talk about and so on. I think adults should be free to make their own decisions, even if that includes doing things with increased risk. However, you should find out all the risks beforehand so you can make an informed decision.

You should check out the solo diving section too, as other people have suggested. There have been a few threads there recently from people asking similar questions to you and there have been a lot of discussion about the issues there. I don't think this thread should be moved though, it is good for information about solo diving to be available elsewhere in Scubaboard as well.

At the depth you are speaking of I think it can be done saftly, if you are not prone to panic, are prepared for any emergency mentally and have the right equiptment configuration. I think most people dive solo indirectly unless you are DIR. Solo diving was done quit frequently back in the day. Today is another story but still done.

Back
Top Bottom