Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saspotato
OK listen, my first and only big mistake was not to take tigermans advise at the start of this thread for that I opologise, however I posted this thread as a rooky diver, in my mind I was unsure if the risk was to great, I was thinking it would be a possible way to improve my experiance and tecnique in a seemingly simple shallow environment, so AS A ROOKY I thought I would seek advice from the more experianced diver amongst you, if you read my comments I very quickly realised that although I originally believed that I was quite capable of overcoming any difficulty, I now realise that due to the lack of dives and experiance that I have I would be very fool hardy to contemplate entering the water alone. I think a rooky can sometimes give a little advise to the experianced, and that advise would have to be "that you must have been a beginner once", not just to diving, but also to threads on forums. many thanks to all who helped me to my final conclusion.

wrong ... your first and only big mistake was contemplating a solo dive

I don't think Eddie made a mistake. In fact, I applaud his inquisitiveness ... it's a healthy sign that he's taking his diving education seriously.

As a new diver, you simply don't know what you don't know. One good way to find out if you're even asking the right questions is to ask ... then judge the value of responses based on what they contain.

As a scuba instructor, I make it clear to my students that there ARE no stupid questions ... there are only stupid responses.

Some of y'all ought to ponder the meaning of that statement ... and stop treating a new diver like he oughtta know what y'all learned thru experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

let's say that all of us on here said to you 'yes, go ahead and do your solo dive in the cove' and you were to go ahead and do it

1) can you please tell me what equipment you would carry
for example: wing, cylinder

2) what is the most important safety thing you would do before entering the water

3) what would you definately, under no circumstances do while under the water :no:

just curious ....

i'm here to help not criticise or hinder your progress

Jeese I give up, its like talking to my grandchildren, Tigerman at first I did not understand your comment but boy do I understand now, once again sorry buddy.

you're right
i think my post came across a little more harsh than i wanted it to :kiss2:

I don't think Eddie made a mistake. In fact, I applaud his inquisitiveness ... it's a healthy sign that he's taking his diving education seriously.

Eddie, you were not wrong in asking. What you bring up has gone through every solo divers mind. It involves a whole bunch of soul searching, research, independence and reliance on yourself when the .... hits the fan. I didn't start soloing my local hole until I knew every inch of it like the back of my hand by diving it with buddies. Then you move on to redundancy and self reliance in your diving and you reach a point in your diving experience you just go for it.

I'm at another milestone where I'm debating my experience so I know where you are coming from, do I, don't do it?.....I just need to do my research and dot all my i's and cross the t's before I go out and kill myself. Life is just a bunch of risk assessments from one stage to the next........

Saspotato
OK listen, my first and only big mistake was not to take tigermans advise at the start of this thread for that I opologise, however I posted this thread as a rooky diver, in my mind I was unsure if the risk was to great, I was thinking it would be a possible way to improve my experiance and tecnique in a seemingly simple shallow environment, so AS A ROOKY I thought I would seek advice from the more experianced diver amongst you, if you read my comments I very quickly realised that although I originally believed that I was quite capable of overcoming any difficulty, I now realise that due to the lack of dives and experiance that I have I would be very fool hardy to contemplate entering the water alone. I think a rooky can sometimes give a little advise to the experianced, and that advise would have to be "that you must have been a beginner once", not just to diving, but also to threads on forums. many thanks to all who helped me to my final conclusion.

You didn't make a mistake at all! :) There is no problem with new people asking questions about stuff they do not know. However, the only problem seems to be when new people get narky when more experienced people advise them against something they are planning to do. I think it is good you are asking questions and taking on board the advice given to you. I think there is nothing wrong with people diving solo if that is what they are comfortable with and when you get some more experience and feel more comfortable in the water, perhaps think about it then. In the meantime, keep checking in on the solo diving forum and if you have more specific questions about solo diving, post them there :)

I thought about solo diving, weighing up the pros and cons, and thinking about the risks a great deal before I started (only recently actually). In the end it comes down to my comfort levels, and that is something only I should decide on, not others. However, I think people should at least get informed (i.e. asking questions of friends and things like that) before making decisions so keep researching, diving and asking questions. :)

Venuss
I am not a total moron, the whole thing started with 1/the idea in my mind. 2/seek advise from others. 3/take in all the advise given. 4/act upon that same advise. should that advise lead me to believe that I was capable of a solo dive, I would have ensured that safety before during and after was priority, however as I have stated I have recieved enough feedback to tell me that I lack the experiance to enter the water alone, so its not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom