• Yes, but I prefer a buddy

Votes: 194 50.0%
  • Yes, I prefer to dive solo

Votes: 135 34.8%
  • Buddies are for wimps and the insecure

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearldiver, By the sounds of your last paragraph, you and me could solo dive together and always be a buddy pair!::)

Let's make that a solo threesome!

Use to think buddy diving was the cats meow. Years ago diving at stage one or two off Panama City Florida boat captain insisted we had a dive buddy. I got stuck with a clown and didn't know it until 80 feet. This was before dual 2nd stage regulators. The clown had a panic attack, we started up buddy breathing when he decided I didn't need my regulator or mask any more. After being towed to the surface at warp speed, I spent the rest of the day in the chamber in Panama City. No more buddies for this old dude. Solo diving is ok for me.

99% of the dives I have done have been done with a buddy or buddies. I am blessed with a large, distributed group of superb divers with whom to dive; as long as I stay within that community, I have never, ever had a dived spoiled or even negatively impacted by the presence of a buddy. To the contrary; having skilled and thoughtful buddies with whom to share the fun enriches every dive.

But I also make a point of diving with new divers, and all too often, those are to all intents and purposes solo dives or worse . . . I'm not only on my own for solving underwater problems, but I'm watching my buddy to anticipate and solve theirs. But I do this because I believe it's important to do, and because it's so much fun to watch their excitement over things I've stopped seeing.

And I've spent a few minutes underwater by myself, now and then -- usually as the result of something like going out to pick up the float, or playing cleanup on a group dive. I have very much enjoyed those five or ten minute interludes by myself. There is a different dynamic to a dive where you don't have to consider anyone's needs or wishes but one's own.

I've thought about deliberately doing a solo dive, because I sort of think it's a diving experience I ought to have. But I'm caught in a Catch-22 situation. I don't think you should dive solo without redundancy. I have multiple sets of doubles to give me that, but I have been known to have problems getting out of the water by myself in doubles (as my orbital fracture bore colorful witness). So I can solo dive without redundancy, or I can dive with redundancy but know I'm likely to get in trouble getting out of the water. I haven't come up with a good solution, so I'm likely to remain a buddy diver for the foreseeable future!

I've thought about deliberately doing a solo dive, because I sort of think it's a diving experience I ought to have. But I'm caught in a Catch-22 situation. I don't think you should dive solo without redundancy. I have multiple sets of doubles to give me that, but I have been known to have problems getting out of the water by myself in doubles (as my orbital fracture bore colorful witness). So I can solo dive without redundancy, or I can dive with redundancy but know I'm likely to get in trouble getting out of the water. I haven't come up with a good solution, so I'm likely to remain a buddy diver for the foreseeable future!

Could you have someone on the surface to provide assistance if you need help to get out of the water? I got stuck in the water for the first time myself yesterday as I was trying out some new gear for a little bit under the pier and had a buddy to help me get out of the water afterwards as I got stuck climbing up the ladder :blush: (getting AL85 sidemounts out of the water up a very narrow ladder was *a lot* harder than climbing with heavy backmount doubles I discovered) If I hadn't had someone to help me I would have had to swim all the way back to shore and whilst manageable is really not comfortable. But having someone there was very helpful.

I agree that it is not ideal to solo dive without redundancy. I think you've said a number of times here that you are quite risk adverse - some people solo dive without reduandancy but it doesn't seem to be something you would be comfortable with (or most people, in fact).

DKTexas,

That is a great analogy. It would be great to see the more stringent training standards enforced, but I do agree they would be cost prohibitive, which would keep most divers out of the water, which in turn would also limit research and equipment development, essentially stalling the entire industry. Some organizations, such as LA County SCUBA, the first civilian agency in the US to certify divers, still do maintain rigid standards. Unfortunately their training is limited to those living in California. For comparison, you should take a look at the LACS Advanced Diver program (ADP). It is quite intense. Aside from the extremely intense lectures, book work, written exam, and water skills testing, they bring together expert speakers who lecture on a variety of topics not found in other programs. The ADP makes even the NAUI Master Diver training look easy in comparison.

Welcome to L.A. County Scuba - 2009 ADP Events and Updates!

I suppose the only major difference between flying and diving is that an error in the sky puts the lives of many others at risk, as well, versus the life of the diver and his buddy, thus the need for federal regulation of pilot training. The lack of this type of regulation means it is incumbent upon us as divers to realize the need to ensure we are trained to a higher standard than the conditions we dive in order to ensure our own safety and that of our fellow divers.

:wink:

Dooga,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I also was in the service, (circa 73-77) US Navy, Sea & Air Rescue Corpsman. The civilian certifying agencies in my humble opinion operate on the paradigm of the lowest common denominator. They teach to sell equipment and trips. Thats there business and they do a real good job at this. The proper real cost of getting a diving license should be $2,000-3000 i am guessing. This might be 50 dives and a level of confidence equal to rescue level training, solo training, nitrox, wreck, etc. Of course this is not feesible because it would kill sales. Years ago I go my private pilots license. I needed around 50 hours i think. It was a long time ago. I spent back in the 70's around $3,000 to get my pilots license. I love diving but I can tell you it can kill you just as quickly as an airplane. Why would you put a young pilot with only 5-6 hours of flying in a plane by himself. The answer is you would not. So why do we put new divers in a position they are not trained for.?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Yes, but only in an emergency.

I am basically to inexperienced to attempt a solo dive. I am very interested in solo diving and the prospect of that as a possibility in the future, but feel it would be foolish to go off by yourself after 12 dives. I have found that during a dive I do wish I didn't have to always be looking out for my buddy, making sure they are close, not swimming off, doing ok and all. It would also be nice not to have to worry about coordinating schedules with someone else, time is difficult to come by and more difficult to find corresponding time frames with a buddy.

Maybe this story from the Aug 5 Sacramento Bee will help

LAKE SHASTA, Calif. -- A 20-year-old San Francisco Bay Area man has died while scuba diving in Lake Shasta.

Shasta County authorities say a dive team recovered the body of Jeremiah Murray of Dublin around 8:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Sheriff's Sgt. Mark Jenkins says deputies began a search around noon for Jenkins after friends on a nearby houseboat reported he had failed to return to the surface. Murray was diving alone in the lake.

Murray was part of a church group visiting Lake Shasta from Dublin, a community east of San Francisco.

Richard

Last edited:
Maybe this story from the Aug 5 Sacramento Bee will help

Richard

No, sorry it does not. Sad that it happened, but without any information, it is just a tragedy. Divers also die with buddies... in shallow water, in deep water...it happens.

Every year, the two most dangerous rooms in a house are the kitchen, followed closely by the bathroom.... every day, more than one person dies in each of those locations...so if we posted kitchen death stories, would you never go in a kitchen?

I have more solo dives than I have with any one of the buddies Ive had.
about 20-25% of my dives so far has been solo and thats unlikely to change. Like it or not, but its my choice wether or not I want to dive that way.

Thats a very bad catch-22 given its handy to get home in one piece as well, not just to the surface :p

However doing a few dives solo if you can do it safely does put things into a somewhat different perspective and thats an experience I wouldnt want to be without

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom