• Yes, but I prefer a buddy

Votes: 194 50.0%
  • Yes, I prefer to dive solo

Votes: 135 34.8%
  • Buddies are for wimps and the insecure

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BonaireDan:
And remember for us instructors that all training dives, parcitularly OW (if you have no DM) are solo dives.

Any instructor who feels that way needs to do a better job of training their students. If my students aren't ready to be buddies, they aren't ready to leave the pool.

I have effectively dived solo just by getting separated from my dive buddy. We both do certain things together, but eventually just go about our own thing. We do keep in sight of each other but are to far apart to assist in an emergency. But we are also not pushing any limits, we are in 30-50 ft of water only when this happens.

I am starting to do under water photography so I can expect to find myself diving solo more often. When I do I will be more prepared to deal with the problems that could arise.

I probably do about 25 percent of my dives solo,I usually stay above 70 feet when solo or mentoring a newer diver. When I started diving there were very few other divers,so it was dive solo or don't dive at all.

Good point, I agree. When diving with an inexperienced buddy I assume the same guidelines as though I am solo.

i dont dive solo because where im located its all cold water and i dont feel completely comfortable diving solo...mabe shallow dives yes...but deep....no

Ok I still consider myself a newbie to diving. 49 dives at the moment. I can see how solo diving can be relaxing. Sort of the same as a long lonley walk in the forest or along the beach. I don't think I'd really consider it for sometime yet until I feel 100% ready for it.

Solo diving lets me get my Zen on :D

What does the "rule" of thirds have to do with open water dives?

<hijack>

Open-water deco dives are "virtual" overhead dives, requiring the use of the strict rule of thirds just like cave dives.

</hijack>

I selected no, for similar reasons to Bucked Off, really. I've just done my 50th dive. I am improving all the time but am not yet experienced enough to feel happy diving solo. I have done dives with poor buddies where I suppose I have effectively been solo. I've been fortunate with buddies, but have had 2 'same ocean' buddies in the last couple of years. Each time was good enough vis and calm enough conditions that I have continued the dive (I can see the 'buddy' doing their thing 20 metres away), but I do not feel 100% happy in this situation, with no redundancy. I suppose really I only solo dive when forced to!

I can imagine solo diving one day, but I would need to be alot more confident about my ability to self rescue, and would want to be very familiar with the sites I was diving solo in. In the meantime? Rescue course is definately on the agenda this summer.

Did some solo muck diving in PNG as my first experience...surface was just 5 to 7 meters above so wasn't too concerned about it.

Had a big dive trip to Bonaire thrown into a tizzy when my wife/buddy had to go and get pregnant! I knew the dive site off our our hotel very well (Small Wall) from previous trips so I ended up doing a lot of solo diving. My self-imposed rules were: no deeper than 20 meters, be at 12 meters no later half tank of gas, hit shallows/safety stop with a third of a tank of gas and surface no later that 60 minutes into dive.

Knowing the site, and with those very conservative parameters, I had a great time.

Had a big dive trip to Bonaire thrown into a tizzy when my wife/buddy had to go and get pregnant!

Don't you just hate it when that happens? I wish I knew what caused it... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom