Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving is dangerous, crazy and should be outlawed.

Now that sounds fun!!!

Solo divers should be banned from Scubaboard

Then the pool of people to pick on would be be significantly less! Nah.. no fun.

banned from public speaking

Well I don't know, you may be on to something there.

they all should be sterilized.

Would that be done by a sterilization buddy team? Well I don't know about all this and besides that might hurt, no fun there. I'm out!

I love solo diving... I started from lack of a dive buddy once...now half my dives are solo even though i have plenty of partners. For me, a partner is usually someone I have to watch. Solo diving can be a break from that. All my hunting is done solo night or not. I think to dive solo you should be confident, redundant and safe.

Solo diving is stroke ****!

Yeah, that olde classik where someone pretends to be blinkered by adherence to a single methodology and regurgitates quotes from an agency founder without really understanding the context that the quote they've paraphrased comes from.

It's also got that humor value that comes with other 'kitsch' items... the image of an over-muscled man in a tight fitting t-shirt ranting... so very "90's".

Kitsch... like wearing a "Frankie Says Relax" t-shirt, or buying a lava lamp... but with a technical scuba slant. :)

It's funny, but not twice in a thread.

Yeah, that olde classik where someone pretends to be blinkered by adherence to a single methodology and regurgitates quotes from an agency founder without really understanding the context that the quote they've paraphrased comes from.

It's also got that humor value that comes with other 'kitsch' items... the image of an over-muscled man in a tight fitting t-shirt ranting... so very "90's".

Kitsch... like wearing a "Frankie Says Relax" t-shirt, or buying a lava lamp... but with a technical scuba slant. :)

It's funny, but not twice in a thread.

I'm fairly certain I understand the context of the original quote as well as how it is commonly used today... In both ways it applies. As to "blinkered by adherence to a single methodology" I'm pretty sure all of the main scuba certifying agencies still and in the past have adhered to the buddy method... regardless of if they now have a solo diving specialty course.

In my (not so) humble opinion, everyone solo dives. It's just typically safer to solo dive in pairs. That being said, I have dove with "pickup buddies" and I almost never feel safer, especially if one is hunting or photographing. Be smart, be prepared and constently evaluate your risk level. Cheers, Kevin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom