Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look up dive ops in the area and just grab a morning tour that caters to both snorkeling and scuba. Please don't solo as an inexperienced vacation diver. Many more dives and redundancy is needed to do it safely.
Just out of curiosity, at how many dives would one consider diving solo? Of course assuming you are comfortable and not doing anything challenging?

Just out of curiosity, at how many dives would one consider diving solo? Of course assuming you are comfortable and not doing anything challenging?
The SDI solo class requires 100 dives minimum. That’s a decent guide.

Double edged sword..now you have to buy 2x the dive gear…but totally worth it.
knowing your experience level- your myopic thinking disappoints me

Get a wife that dives and has a job. Or better- a trust fund. (Give her $1 and send her to the 7-11 for that Power Ball ticket)

…must get signed ante-nup by 9pm lottery drawing time…

I did my very first dive post OW solo, and every one but two since then. To each their own.

Most agencies I know of say 100 logged dives before enrollment in their course. I started before that since I was in the water often at our dock or chasing an anchor we lost. Vacation diving and an occasional cold water puget sound dive over the years kept me up on general scuba and buddy procedures. I also grew up on/in the water and am a fish of sorts. I'm comfortable in uncomfortable situations and have a pretty level head. I made the choice to pursue solo because I loathed diving with idiots. I also like to take pics & video so I end being still or staring at 1 spot for longer than most lookey loo divers enjoy. It just made sense to add a pony to my rig and learn how to use it. I then read a lot and trained for incidents to again have a level head of I needed to think through a problem. It's way more than just number of dives. It's a mindset and style of diving. You have to accept you are your only help and be ok with maybe not being good enough.

I did my very first dive post OW solo, and every one but two since then. To each their own.
Data point taken. And I'm sure you wouldn't suggest that it would be prudent for @Billg6bg to do the same.

Let's keep in mind that the OP asked this question in the Basic Scuba forum, which is a Learning Zone. The OP is trying to learn whether it's a good idea or not. The Basic Scuba answer is "don't do it."

knowing your experience level- your myopic thinking disappoints me

Get a wife that dives and has a job. Or better- a trust fund. (Give her $1 and send her to the 7-11 for that Power Ball ticket)

…must get signed ante-nup by 9pm lottery drawing time…

We both have our own business…we both share the costs of gear and trips.

We both have our own business…we both share the costs of gear and trips.
Mine has a trust fund. She buys me new computers instead of battery changes.

We only pee in a wetsuit once, then toss it.

It’s the little things that keeps the love alive.

That, and her selfie….

6AF61C00-A708-405F-B5FC-8DF98C7D0E89.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom