Solo in 20 ft dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maskinut

Registered
Reaction score
I am fairly new to SCUBA and have logged about 20 dives. I have pretty good gear and feel comfortable in the water. I am the only one of my friends who owns his own equipment so I am up for diving more frequently than most of them. This means I have the chance to dive solo frequently. Many on this board feel solo diving is very dangerous. I don't feel this way on my solo dives. What say you? I'll set the stage.

I'm beach diving in 20-25 feet of water on Cape Cod in 73 degree water. I tell people on the beach and am towing a flag. I have a knife and know how to use a compass. The currents are minor and the people on the beach have access to a boat in 10 minutes.

I don't see this as being any more dangerous than driving a car or swimming in the same water. The things that will kill you are mostly related to physical failure (heart attack) or other people/cars/boats.

Anyone have an opinion on this either way? The way I see is it the risk of these dives positively reduces the risk I may face on deeper dives since I'll have lots more underwater experience next time I go deeper with a buddy.

Can I tell my Girlfriend to chill? The only thing she knows about diving is that you are supposed to have a buddy.

I think the problem with starting to solo dive with so little experience (I am also inexperienced) is that you don't know what you don't know. Plenty of things can happen in 20 feet of water.

As more of your solo dives go uneventful, you'll probably grow more complacent, and won't really know how dangerous solo can be until you have a close call or (God forbid) something worse. Just food for thought, I don't have personal experience with solo diving.

-Nick

A lot of us solo, while I don't know your area at all, I don't personally feel a 20 foot solo dive is that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Have you considered joining the solo forum on here, and then you can talk to more divers with much more solo experience, that can give you more suggestions.

***** happens man. I know I may not be the most experienced (far from it actually). But I'd say its not the brightest idea. If somethin does go wrong, you pass out for whatever reason, equipment malfuntion, one of a million problems that could happen... its always nice to have that buddy there. Plus its nice to have someone to share the experience with. I'm torn as weel due to the lack of a buddy that I personally know at this point. But check out the regional forums on this board and I'm sure that you'll be able to find someone.

Hey dude, I feel for you. My girlfriend nixed me solo diving, even when I wanted to hop in a 20 deep Colorado lake with friends nearby.

My personal feeling is that if you know how to handle most common emergencies and have redundant equipment (sounds like you don't, btw), then go for it.

But, when you add a significant other into the mix and they're not cool with it, then it comes down to a question of whether your desire to do it is worth her suffering through it. For me, it's not worth it.

I posted a thread asking a similar question to this over the summer, unfortunately when SB went down and they lost their hard drive, the thread vanished. Long story short, I got some good advice to keep in mind for our future together, but the best advice I got is that it's unacceptable if the ones you love don't want you doing it.

It's less a matter of safety than it is respect.

Anyways, that's my opinion...

-Ben

Personally I wouldnt hesistate doing a 20 feet solo dive in calm waters that I knew well and theres not a mentionable entanglement risk or other things that prevent you from being able to ascend, especially not with people on shore.
Yes, the risks are greater if you solo and there is more things to consider, however, have anyone here skin-dived to 20 feet? I know I have, even without fins..
That said, when breating air under water, you get complications that you wouldnt have while skin-diving, both obvious and less obvious ones..

And yes, it is a lot about respect, not only for your loved ones, but also for yourself and the enviroment youre in..
Id do as some suggested, join the solo divers forum where in general the advice you get is a bit more directly related to how to do it as safe as possible than wether or not you should do it, if you have already decided that you will...

There's nothing intrinsically dangerous about solo diving as long as nothing goes wrong. But that's the kicker right there:" ..as long as nothing goes wrong." If something goes wrong then solo diving can kill you. Do you have a redundant air supply such as pony bottle? Many people solo dive in my neck of the woods (south Florida) but all of them are extremely experienced and always dive with at least a 13 cf pony bottle.

Solo diving is a big no-no for many divers. I love it but I dive with a 19 cf pony bottle and have let other divers know that I am solo. I agree with Lehmann108.

Like I have said before...just because you dive with a buddy does not mean that you are being safer than those who dive solo. Some people do not recognize a dangerous sitation when they see it and some people are much more likely to create a crisis situation than others. If you pair up with one of these people you may get dragged into their situations. I have encountered people like this in the past and have been dragged into the situations they create. Depending on who you buddy up with you may actually be safer going solo. That being said, I prefer to dive with a competent buddy but I dive solo too.

I dive solo, but not often, and if I do I have a redundant air supply.

I prefer to dive with a good buddy. OTOH, a bad buddy maybe worst than going it alone as someone pointed out.

The issue with your GF is a very different matter. Good luck convincing her that diving Solo is a great Idea, because it's really not such a great idea. Especially based on your experience, and lack of being prepared to dive solo from an equipment and training perspective.

Diving with a good buddy is MUCH safer than solo IMO, and it makes the diving more enjoyable. That said, there are situations where solo diving happens. Hunting is one, and depending on the buddy team photography can be another.

As for finding buddies, that's what SB is here for! Post in your local forum, and you will likely meet some great divers whom can not only provide a buddy, but may act as role models to improve your skills. I've dove with people from around the world that I met on SB, and they are almost to a man/woman some of the best divers I've seen. The exceptions have generally been new divers, but surrounding yourself with good divers is a great way to improve quickly.

Back
Top Bottom