Solo in Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShaneVB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Work has drug me back to MO and looking for the best, or a must place, to solo dive.

Have dove Bonne Terre Mine several times and highly recommend it as a bucket list, but looking for a place I can jump in and solo dive.

I spent several months in Mo. recently. Seems to be a bit restrictive regarding diving despite many beautiful Ozark Springs. There is a Spring and dive shop in Waynesville but it didnt look like much.

I had some nice snorkle floats on the Current and Courtenois Rivers in hot Summer months from a kayak. Amazingly clear water. I saw no reason you couldnt drift dive those although it would be quite shallow. A mix of diving deeper calm pools and snorkling with kayak might be very cool. Outfitters drop you off with bus...you float in rented kayak to their take out place so logistics easy.

Snags could be iffy if water running fast. Big turtles, gars, lots of fish, mink, otters, .crawdads....water snakes...I liked it. Beware the copperheads and cottonmouths but they seemed eager to avoid people.

Lakes were not very clear that I saw although Table Rock was reported to be OK.

I passed on BonneTerre mine as it was quite expensive for my son and I to do for a weekend. Did not have our Scuba gear with either so stayed with the rivers.

I spent several months in Mo. recently. Seems to be a bit restrictive regarding diving despite many beautiful Ozark Springs. There is a Spring and dive shop in Waynesville but it didnt look like much.

HA. well, no, the OW section is not much...

HA. well, no, the OW section is not much...

I actually had seen that video ! Was staying 5 miles from there near FLW.

Definately not for solo, jump in for quickie...water was cold in August...in winter must be icy.

Visibility is down in all of the Ozark lakes due to an over supply of rain which carries nutrients into the water and feeds algae blooms. The last few years have been outstanding, as lake diving goes. N

You might try locating a local dive club if there are any in your area, or dive shop to find out about dive opportunities in your area. Depending on what part of MO. you are in, there is always Beaver Lake in AR. and Mermet Springs in IL.

Table Rock Lake (Indian Point Dive Center is tech friendly--Joseph is the owner) is OK, and Joseph has a dive boat.

For cave diving, as posted, Roubidoux.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom