Solo kayak spearing & snaring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself to the solo board.

In SE Florida (Lauderdale by the Sea) I'm lucky to have a nice, shallow reef zone out to about 1,500 yards with strings of mooring bouys every 30 yards or so. It seems made for solo divers!

I find dragging the diveyak around to be a little safer than just a flag, since we have some speedboats in the area.

We get stopped here often at sea by various agencies without any solo-diver issues. It's never even been mentioned to me. They typically want to see a fishing license and yes, they're serious about the mandatory gear.

It's true that if you're hunting you're solo, though our reefs are in nice convenient rows and it's difficult to get separated for long!

The only solo-issue I have is that nobody can confirm the one's that get away... of course, for some fishermen, this could be a real benefit.

I love night diving solo, especially with a full moon. While I've never taken the diveyak because of the lighting requirements, one of these days I'll get set up and give it a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom