Solo or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe ask the dive center if they have a buddy list? I know ours does, there could be another diver out there looking to go.

Well I have been on Vancouver Island now for two weeks without a hit from any locals on buddying up for a shore dive.
I currently have 22 dives and an AOW certification.
I was thinking of diving Ogden Point in Victoria on Sunday solo. It is a very popular spot with little current and diver markers on the breakwall. The LDS is in front of the dive spot.
Questions:
Should I have concerns on diving solo and if so, what are those concerns?
Thanks!
Mark

The LDS is very near so if you get into any problems underwater you have that going for you.

Good luck.

Dude, go to the dive spot "solo" and break into a buddy team. Here's how you do it: park your vehicle and set your gear up in an area where you will be passed by a bunch of divers on their way to/from the water. Suit up just enough to be comfortable but also quickly get into the water, then take a seat next to your gear and hang out. Eventually someone will get curious and come talk to you. Be friendly, say your buddy crapped out on you at the last minute but you really would like to get dives in today.

Unless I was doing something exceptionally special that dive, I'd let you join me for at least one dive.

Peace,
Greg

Well I have been on Vancouver Island now for two weeks without a hit from any locals on buddying up for a shore dive.
I currently have 22 dives and an AOW certification.
I was thinking of diving Ogden Point in Victoria on Sunday solo. It is a very popular spot with little current and diver markers on the breakwall. The LDS is in front of the dive spot.
Questions:
Should I have concerns on diving solo and if so, what are those concerns?
Thanks!
Mark

I don't usually resort to unequivocable answers ... but in this case it's appropriate. You should not consider doing this dive solo.

The breakwater looks like a really simple dive ... and it can be. It can also break you in ways you probably haven't even thought of yet. Even if you are ready, skills-wise ... which you probably are not ... this isn't an appropriate place to cut your teeth on solo diving.

Ask yourself a few questions ...

- Are you prepared for entanglement? There's a ton of bull kelp at this site, and while diving in bull kelp isn't particularly difficult, it can be intimidating for someone who's not used to dealing with it. Do you even know how to "break" a kelp stem? Trying it in the usual manner only bends the stem.

- What about redundancy? Do you have a redundant air supply, in case you experience a problem with your normal one? Because if anything causes a cessation of your normal gas supply, you're only going to have a few seconds to come up with Plan B before it becomes a really serious problem. And don't just assume that because you are carrying a pony or other alternate that you've solved that issue ... you'd better have practiced deploying it underwater a few times to make sure you can do it consistently. And make sure you've paid attention to potential "gotchya's" ... like trapping your reg hose.

- Have you dived in surge? Waves coming into the area, particularly in the shallower sections, can move you around in ways that are disorienting. Again, not particularly difficult for those who are experienced enough to have learned how to deal with it ... but can be a real stressful issue for the inexperienced.

- Getting into that site is easy ... you just step off the wall just about anywhere you want. But how will you get out? Climbing up onto that wall in your gear isn't as easy as it looks ... especially if there's any wave action. The easiest way is to swim to the beach ... but it's a pretty long swim. Will you have enough gas to make it? Surface swimming is an option ... but remember the kelp ... it's a real bear trying to make your way anywhere on the surface when kelp's in the way.

The breakwater's a great dive ... actually it's a great few dives because it's so big ... but go the first few times with someone who can show you the answers to the questions above. Don't risk learning the hard way ... it can be a really stressful experience, and stress is what usually causes people to make bad decisions that can get them in trouble.

Sorry you're having trouble finding a dive buddy ... if you were down my way I'd happily dive with you and show you a few "tricks" that'd make life easier. But no way would I recommend you try that site solo ... not without having dived it first with a buddy, and particularly not at your level of experience. You MIGHT be OK ... but it would really depend on the conditions and on how well you can handle things that might not quite turn out the way you expect them to. Best you find out about those things while diving with someone who can help you learn the site.

Diving solo isn't an option you want to consider until you're completely comfortable and confident with your basic skills ... and until you can perform self-rescue with as little thought and as much confidence as you currently give to walking. And it involves a bit more than just the skills ... it also requires you to make good decisions, which is why it's not something that most new divers should consider ... because they usually don't even know the right questions to ask yet, much less the right answers.

Here's a good place to start learning about the things you should know before coonsidering solo diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would like to know what you mean by solo dive? I assume you mean dive alone. My understanding of solo diving is a diver who is self sufficient. This means he can enter the water, complete the dive, and exit the water without any assistance from a buddy or group. This does not mean dive alone. At your level of experience I find this can't hold true. I strongly advise you to NOT dive solo at this point. it seems the best solution is to hire a guide (i.e. divemaster, etc.). Happy diving!:wink:

I don't recall seeing you ask for buddies in the Western Canada forum. Even if you have already posted it wouldn't hurt to post again and say you've been around a couple weeks without finding a buddy. It is the best place on SB to contact Vancouver Island locals.

I'm no great diver, but I have known a few, and one thing that distinguishes them is that they seem to have a knack for recognizing and addressing the "real problem".

In your case IMO, the "real problem" is you haven't been able to find a buddy. Diving solo is not a solution to that problem, it simply avoids the problem. Avoiding problems often leads to new problems and sets the stage for a cascade to disaster.

Kudos to you for having the wisdom and courage to ask the question. I hope all goes well for you.

k374:
Which boat is this? I have dove a few boats here in SoCal and it was always a bring your own buddy type of diving.

If you don't have a buddy, the boats in socal that I've been on have been able to help find you find a buddy on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom