Solo Rebreather Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcguiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone do it? I have been solo diving for years and have kind of gotten used to the comments from people at the beach. Though it did catch me off guard when, back in late 2009, I got back into diving CCR's and experienced renewed and much harsher coments in reguards to my solo diving choice.

I've got a couple hundred hours solo. Cave dives usually range between 4 & 7 hours with ocean dives being limited by water temps. My advice is to dive the way you feel is safe and just don't worry about what others are saying - it's always been that way for solo divers.

As Ripley stated, if you are comfortable with it and don't mind the remarks, go for it. Keep in mind that the rebreather is just another tool which enables us to accomplish longer dives with much less gas, and the ability to always use some helium in the mix if so inclined.

Safe Diving

It comes partially from not really having any other CCR buddies. And I love the silence diving CCR's alone brings.

It comes partially from not really having any other CCR buddies. And I love the silence diving CCR's alone brings.

The absolute quietness I have encountered was under the ice solo. It was indescribable. I can't wait until winter and hope it's cold enough again this year.

Dale

Hi,

I dive solo 99% of the time. First on OC and now on CCR. I prefer to do it that way. I'm also the only one with a rebreather on the island. :)
I frequently get remarks about it from new people on the island, but I just say "thank you for your concern" and jump in. I only do shore dives here, so I don't have to deal with boats and companies.

Just two days ago:

new girl on the island: "are you going diving alone?"
me: yes
new girl on the island: "but that's not allowed"
me: really? didn't know. Who says?
new girl on the island: "I don't know, but it's only allowed in Egypt, not in the Caribbean"
me: oh, really, and by which authority, then?
new girl on the island: "I don't know, I just heard it"
me: ok, well, have a nice day, I'm off diving

Most people know me here though and don't criticize it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom