Solo tech/deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weather I'm team diving or solo, I like using the same configuration that I'm used to, trained on, and will automatically know where everything is, should things go south.

I thought this was very intelligent, so I'm quoting it. I live in St Louis, so local diving doesn't exist. I can go North to Lake Michigan, travel to the tropics, dive a local lake or quarry, where temps change dramatically. Boat, Shore, leading a group, diving with a buddy, diving solo, drift, anchor, wreck, reef, salt, fresh. All the different environments I dive in I really need to try to keep the gear somewhat similar or else I would get really confused. If you don't need to donate to a buddy ever, a 7' primary doesn't make sense. If you do, then changing between two hoses doesn't make sense.

As for independents, it complicates the 7' hose, adds another task to the diver (switching regs), and adds more equipment (another SPG.) If you have a failure, you will lose one half of your gas, and will lose one of your LP inflators. With Iso Manifold, you can still access all your gas with most failures, have no extra spg, have no extra tasks in normal scenarios. You do need to be able to shut down the isolator quickly, and a broken iso bar means you are screwed.

I like the Isolation Manifold for its benefits. I can learn to do valve drills, and the bar failing is not very likely.

As to some of the other things, they are classes, they don't mean you can't dive how you want after the class. 7' hose is pennies compared to other stuff you get. Don't let it affect whether you take a class or not. Learn the instructor's way, and then if you need to adopt different practices after the class, go for it. Just make sure you go into the class with the mindset to learn all you can, and not that you know better from the get-go.

Tom

The problem with independants and the 7 ft hose is not the task loading of switching regs. It is the problem of dotating the reg in your mouth protocol. If you are using a 7ft primary it is always in your mouth and should you be buddy diving the buddy knows where to find it. If you are using 7ft hose on indies what reg do you donate when buddy diving? How does the buddy in an emergency decide which hose is correct?
The most important problem I see with using a 7ft hose with independants and a buddy scenario is how do you secure your 7ft hose when breathing off the other?
Having said that I have never heard of or can conceive of a single failure that would render an independant diver out of gas so who needs a long hose if both buddies are diving independants?

You guys are getting me worried that TDI are going to come in the middle of the night and take away my cards!

I normally dive manifolded doubles.Sometimes I dive solo. Hose configuration is exactly the same either in a buddy team or solo. Dont need a long hose solo but I am totally familiar with the system and too lazy to change hoses for every dive.

I actually PREFER independant doubles for solo dives. (zero chance of losing all gas due to not shutting down a post quickly enough) If diving independants the long hose is clipped to the right shoulder D ring when it is not being used,just like it is when breathing from a stage.

A problem could arise if one diver is diving manifolded doubles and the other is on independants and happens to be using the short hose. In an OOA situation the independants diver needs to donate the long hose that is clipped off to a D ring. Unclipping could cause a delay at a very bad time. Rather than securing the clip with cave line it is a good idea in this situation to have a breakaway connection (O-ring etc) that way in a true emergency all that is needed is to give a firm pull on the reg.

It really is best if all divers are either on manifolded doubles or on independants,rather than a mixture of the 2.

One of divings great mysteries to me is why sidemounting is cool but diving independant doubles tends to be frowned upon. Apart from where the tanks are located it is EXACTLY THE SAME THING !

I agree that it is odd that side mounting is "cool" with some cave divers doing it even in situations where it is not required (ie: it brings nothing to the dive) on the premis that they are safer always diving the same configuration.

However a solo diver/ice diver/traveling diver etc who may be more optimally configured with independent doubles is considered very "uncool" - mostly by divers who do not understand it and have never done it.

Independent doubles are worth considering if you plan to be solo in situations where you may not be able to reach the isolator valve quickly. If you go that route, you use 1/3rd of the first tank (usually the left), then switch to the right post (with the long hose reg) and use 2/3rds of it before switching back to the left post to use the 2nd third of that tank. The dive will be turned after you use the 1rst third of 2nd tank. This ensures that at the point of maximum penetration you have only used 1/3th of your total gas supply and have the remaining 2/3rds evenly split between each tank - meaning that if you lose the entire contents of either tank, you have enough gas to get to the first deco stop in the remaining tank.

Independent doubles also work very well in remote destinations where manifolded doubles are not always available and knowing and practicing the gas management required is not a bad idea if you may be somehwere where doubles are not available.

Where do they state that?

I have a solo diver cert from SDI and my tech certs are TDI. I don't recall seeing anything about TDI frowning on tech solo diving. During the SDI Solo Diver course they do say divers should not go beyond recreational limits solo. I think it's even on the test, but I'm sure it has more to do with liability than anything else. The release form for the Solo Diver class is quite a piece of work too!

I dive doubles with a manifold for the simple reason that if I do have a problem I know I have two tanks with an equal amount of gas in them at all times. If you dive independent doubles I'd think you'd simply want to have enough gas in the first tank to get you topside when you switch to your second tank. Otherwise, I don't see a big problem.

Personally, I try to keep my gear configuration as similar as possible regardless of the dive. So...I dive with a 7' hose regardless...solo...buddy...tech...rec...etc. It's really not a big deal to stow it out of the way.

As far as the instructor goes, you may not like the way they configure their gear...and make you configure yours for the class...but I bet you'll learn about alternatives and you may change your mind about what you think is the right config. Narrow down your list of possible instructors based on experience and reputation, then go meet them. I wouldn't choose based on their gear requirements...that is something you can change after the class is over.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom