Solo Travel Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSloan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will have about a month between jobs starting in mid-July 2012. I will take two weeks with my wife, likely in Australia and then two weeks alone. I would like to find a destination that is a great combination of travel and diving for that second two weeks. Being that I am already in that region of the world, I am leading towards Thailand/Cambodia. I think this will be a nice blend of sights above and below water, coupled with a solo-traveler/backpacker friendly environment. I would love to hear about others' suggestions though and am open to travel throughout the world. I would like to keep the two weeks to a reasonable(ish) budget. I will steer clear of a liveaboards only because I feel that I have such a short amount of time and the world is big/I want to see so much.
I appreciate your suggestions,
Sloan

Well, Hawaii could be "on the way back" from Australia, and summer is when Ni'ihau is very popular, as well as most of the "strenuous dives" I guide ...

:eyebrow:

halemanō;6043454:
I am throwing my ironwood branch into the (mostly) West Maui shore guiding fire as well. For the seriously adventurous, I am doing scooter, kayak and other "strenuous dives" such as Dragon's Teeth (Long Walk), Namalu Bay (Cliff House), Hawea Point, Manta Cleaning, Food Land, Carthaginian ..... and others even more masochistic.

:shocked2:

I think you've made a great choice in Thailand/Cambodia for two weeks as a cheap, first trip to SE Asia...you'd have time to go up north, hit at least one coat, then get over to at least Siem Riep for Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Australia and then this area are HUGE backpacker destinations and you'll have no trouble meeting other solo travelers and lots of transport/accommodation options aimed at same. The one recommendation I'd make is that for any diving, stick to the Andaman side. You mentioned wanting to avoid a liveaboard, but actually I'd suggest you do a 4 day Similians trip even if that's the only diving you wind up doing while on your last two weeks. Personally, I think that's the best possible diving in the entire area and you can find these trips very cheap.

Doing any diving in Australia by the way? Lots of "can't miss" places there as well. Unfortunately diving is ridiculously expensive there!!

With the current economy, I'll probably be unemployed by then. Maybe you should take a buddy with you.:wink::D

I love Thailand have been numerous times both to the Andaman and the gulf Gulf. That time of the year is off season for Andamans, i.e. Similans are closed. Overall I preferred the diving in the Andamans but also enjoyed the diving in the Gulf (Koh Tao) the diving on Koh Tao is very easy but there are one or two really nice dives, Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock I think. All the times I have been diving in Thailand I have been solo, its cheap, weathers nice, diving is relatively cheap, easy to meet other travelers divers, friendly locals, good food, things to do and see above water... Maybe check out the "Thailand" forum for more info.

Thanks. I am by no means married to Thailand - it happened to be the first destination that I considered and would certainly entertain other suggestions.

Bali is an easy hop from Australia, offers great topside touring and excellent diving as well.

What are your plans for Australia?

There is lots of diving in lots of different places in Australia that you can dive, some of which are relatively close to major cities.

From a local point of view, there are lots of shore and boat drives within driving distance of Melbourne (as an example), so if you aren't diving during your time with the wife, there are lots of options to choose from without leaving Australia.

I am planning to dive in Sydney and on the GBR and but decide to continue to bounce around Australia but I also figure, while I am across the world, might as well see some other places as well if logistically and financially reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom