Solo trip ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how long is your time off?

i've dove in guam, yap, and pohnpei. depending on how many washington-area dives you get in before leaving, you might want to hang out in guam for a few days (like 4-5) to get over jet lag and try some easy dives here since the infrastructure is good for it. also, you may need to fine tune your skills diving in tropical water without that unnecessary 5-mm wetsuit business.

if you want solitude, yap and pohnpei are rad.

yap: most people i've met (who went to yap) stay and dive thru the manta bay resort, but if your goal is to stay away from other divers and tourists, you can also opt for moon rize in the northern village of wacholab. pathways hotel also offers hut-type accommodations if you want to go for something more rustic (and lovely porches where i could just chill for days), but still in kolonia with its marginally more numerous restaurant offerings than wacholab. that being said, "staying away from divers" is relative, given that yap easily gets fewer than 500 visitors a year. i thought the diving offered, skill-wise, was pretty easy.

pohnpei: also gets fewer than 400 visitors a year, and you can easily avoid people if you want. some tourists stay at the village, which offers dive tours as well--and is away from kolonia. you might want to hit up "deveyn" on scubaboard since that user lives in pohnpei and could be pretty forthright about the options there (also check out photos here: Flickr: deveynn's Photostream). i WOULD say, don't go to pohnpei unless you're going to commit to getting out to one of the islands 5-10 miles off the main island... there are spectacular walls out there, 300+ visibility, and very healthy reefs.

one of the other things about pohnpei, which i didn't get to do, is that it offers some killer hiking and waterfalls. so if you got sick of diving, you can do other nature-oriented things.

i almost always travel alone. my first trip solo was across china and russia, so i sort of skipped that whole "breaking it in" build-up. if you need to socialize, you'll always be able to find other people, particularly since you have these scuba activities built into your itinerary. otherwise, i would say that it's unique to be able to truly be alone in this noisy day and age--so, if the chance comes up, jump at it. bring on the boredom. you may be surprised at how "productive" it becomes.

I have made my decision and I'm doing Kosrae from May 3-14 and then Pohnpei May 14-20th. :banana:

no need to go anywhere... Go to Hoodsport on the hood canal. There is A dive resort right on the water. Great diving at octopus hole, about 80' deep. Or if you really feel the need to get out of town, wait till december and go up BC, great diving up there.

no need to go anywhere... Go to Hoodsport on the hood canal. There is A dive resort right on the water. Great diving at octopus hole, about 80' deep. Or if you really feel the need to get out of town, wait till december and go up BC, great diving up there.

Agree - saw two octos last night at Cove 2 with a beautiful rainbow over the seattle skyline when we dropped below the surface. We were searching for the pot of gold!

I have made my decision and I'm doing Kosrae from May 3-14 and then Pohnpei May 14-20th. :banana:

Nice - great places for "a sabatical of sorts" for sure. I spent three weeks in Micronesia two years ago as an escape from work (between jobs) and life in general. My wife too was wonderful in allowing me to go.

Hi all - I'm on Kosrae Island now and LOVE it. The people are so friendly and the diving is INCREDIBLE! I'm staying at Kosrae Nautilus Resort - top notch operation. How can you beat being the only boat and the only diver in the water (+ instructor/DM) within eyesight? I thought I'd post the link to my blog in case you wanted to follow - I'm using it as a journal too so skip over the non-diving parts if you wish........

Kosrae-Pohnpei-May2011

Yap sounds perfect for your needs, my buddy there just sent me a message that they had 15 mantas today... :)

Glad to hear you are having a good time in Kosrae. I've never done Kosrae--just Yap and Palau a couple of times. I think you are inspiring me to cash in some Onepass miles.

I have to agree with Mike here though-Yap has some cool dives, but more importantly yap divers at MRB has some a pretty good shop and dive guides that will hold your hand (literally) if you need it. Many of the Manta dives will keep you fairly stationary in relatively shallow water--so your "checkout" dives are on Manta cleaning stations. My 13yo daughter had no issues with the diving (apart from an irrational fear of the Mantas). Yap also has some really pretty dives apart from Mantas: Yap Caverns, for example is pretty, and there are a number of slow drift dives on walls you can do. I am not sure Kosrae or Pohnpei have the same level of structure in their dive ops that you will need, while Palau may be too hands off.

Palau diving is amazing and would be my first choice to dive in Micronesia--however the guides do not give you the same level of hand-holding that you can get on Yap. Yap is to Palau what Columbus, Ohio is to Manhattan--it is just so much smaller an island that you really are one of the few tourists on the island vs. the hundreds of people from Japan and Korea shipped to Palau every day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom