Solomons Trip Rept Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man:
and it looks like, oh yeah, I picked the right trip.

I'm also less than five months out from a trip on the Bilikiki. IT's going to be great Vetdiver. Be prepared to accept nothing less than liveaboard in the future. This is my second.

We're just going to miss each other - we're on the June 8 trip. I just bought our Virgin Blue tix from Sydney to Brisbane (we cashed in United miles to go business class to Sydney).

Funny that you say that -we've already started stocking up Continental miles for our next trip over the Pacific to Micronesia -we'd like to do back-to-back Truk and Yap/Palau liveaboards!!

When are you going? Have a great time!

We're going in April. We're going directly from LAX through Fiji to Honiara. They changed the Air Pacific flights, so now we have a day in Fiji before leaving for Honiara the next day. While I love Fiji, I would much rather spend that extra time in Honiara checking out the land based war relics.

We did part land/part sailboat based trip to Fiji in 04 and the weather didn't cooperate with mostly rain, so we got a taste of some awesome diving but it didn't quench us. So after searching around, we decided to shoot the works and do the Big Blue Explorer in Palau. Wow, what an incredible experience. First, the weather was picture perfect the entire time. Compared to Fiji, this in itself would have made the trip. However, then there's the diving. The first trip to Blue Corner was unforgettable. We went deep and then came up the side of the reef to hook in. As we're swimming along toward the reef, looking around found sharks appearing well below us, as well as pacing us to the side and then all around. As we came to the reef, there was an enormous school of large fish hanging in the current. Big schools were my reason for going to Palau. Then we came to the reef for my first hooking. As we came to the reef, we suddenly realized how much the current was pushing us. We quickly grabbed an uninhabited rock and hooked in. Then just hung in the current. It was pressing my mask on my face pretty good, ebbing and pushing on us. Big schools of fish shooting by, sharks cruising through. Then release the hook and float away...Big school of barracuda here, there. Turtles. Awesome.

I liked the Big Blue Explorer because it had plenty of room, the price was lower than Aggressor, they use two dive boats so more boats on site during the dive, food was good and even great at times, dive guides were great, I got certified for Nitrox on the trip. The liveaboard is THE way to go because you anchor in the islands and every dive site is five minutes away. I went for the diving so the liveaboard gives you your fill.

I'm really looking forward to the Solomons.

Hey Peter,

I've just got back from the sols. It's been a long but wonderful 4 weeks. I tell you, we looked for that bloody whale shark on every single dive!! It's awsome that you got to see one. I just viewed your pics and it looks like you had a great day at Mary's. Too bad we didn't pass Spirit when you were onboard, next time!

And where is your trip report?

Super trip report...I've signed up for the Bilikiki in Aug 06, just absorbing how much all this will cost (even with my using miles to get between US and Brisbane), so reading your report and seeing your pics steadied me back to thinking it was a good idea, after all....thanks!!

GFAC,

Thanks for the kind words about my report. First off, your pix are insanely excellent! Aside from fantastic composition and lighting, the equipment you're using seems just great. Can you tell me what its components are? I'm looking to upgrade from my faithful but limited Oly 3040 with its internal strobe.

I'm glad my report had a calming effect. I suffer from tremors of guilt every time I take one of these Pacific liveaboard trips. I'm reminded how out-of-my-league I am by the passengers on said journeys, almost all of whom are very nice, engaging folks, but also financially independent. That's certainly not my status! But, after putting aside the thought of how I could enhance my retirement account by eschewing these trips, I'm always left with the feeling that it's worth it to take them. There'd be no way to compensate for the pleasure I get by adding to my long-term financial security.

I'm sure your Bilikiki experience will make you feel the same way.

Happy Holidays.

Best Regards,

peterjmaerz:
GFAC,

Thanks for the kind words about my report. First off, your pix are insanely excellent! Aside from fantastic composition and lighting, the equipment you're using seems just great. Can you tell me what its components are? I'm looking to upgrade from my faithful but limited Oly 3040 with its internal strobe.

I'm glad my report had a calming effect. I suffer from tremors of guilt every time I take one of these Pacific liveaboard trips. I'm reminded how out-of-my-league I am by the passengers on said journeys, almost all of whom are very nice, engaging folks, but also financially independent. That's certainly not my status! But, after putting aside the thought of how I could enhance my retirement account by eschewing these trips, I'm always left with the feeling that it's worth it to take them. There'd be no way to compensate for the pleasure I get by adding to my long-term financial security.

I'm sure your Bilikiki experience will make you feel the same way.

Happy Holidays.

Best Regards,

Peter,

'Sounds like, from one working stiff to another, we're on the same sheet re making time in lives and budgets for these kinds of experiences. (UNtil someone shows me proof positive we are all going to be reincarnated, this is the life I want to fill with good stuff!)

Thanks for the very kind and encouraging comments on the photos. if you want to see a few other really odd creatures, go over to photobucket.com and type "gfandac" in the search term box. Some add'l ones in there, including from Lembeh -- which if you haven't gotten to, you should add it to your list. Also not a walk in th park getting there, but well worth it.

As for the set-up, I've a fuji S2 pro in a subal housing, along with a single Ikelite DS-125.('Also have a S&S YS-120 which is well made and very reliable...but slower to get ready after each shot, a disadvantage for moving fish.) I'm thinking about adding a second strobe by Bilikiki time.

About my kit, a couple caveats. I'm a neophyte fumfering as I go as opposed to some of the real pros out there who actually know what they're doing. Also, I really like my set-up but in terms of recommendng it, its already 3-year old technology on the digital camera side. Thus if you're upgrading in 2006 you may want to go with whats newest att. (Fuji now has the S3 and both Nikon and canon have several new & good contenders.) That said, I'm planning on my set up keeping me happy for some years to come. (I also bought a used back-up S2 body so if something happens w/the camera, I still have something that will work in the housing.) (BTW there is always the option of paying less for used kit if you know the previous owner took good care.)

One interesting point about the S2 if you opt for the used route -- it has (what I see as) an advantage over all the other digitals, in allowing true TTL for strobe level. If you are close enough to the subject, the TTL exposure is quite reliable. And it of course allows going manual if you wish. If you haven't had use of external strobe, you will be amazed at the colors it will bring out. (tho, some of your pics sure looked well lit for an internal strobe only.)

Most of my posted pics are with the (fairly reasonable) nikon 60 mm macro lens, tho I've more recently added w/a and a 105 to the kit.

Now, do be prepared for some real sticker shock when to you go to make the investment -- we are talking a good several thousand when its all said and done.
If you're like me, you'll get it going, then get REALLY addicted to it. then you'll get used to spending the bucks, and you'll just have to go diving all the more to amortize the investment. It all works out.

Good luck... I hope you take the leap, and will be interested to know what you decide.

Glo

Hi Petey,
As always the writing is superb. I'm so sorry I couldn't make the trip but my filial duties had to be fulfilled. I can't wait for PNG next year. So, how about Turks? Are you going? I would like to dive with you soon. Margaret is also thinking of a warm water vacation.

Ikela
e-mail me if you can.

peterjmaerz:
GFAC,

after putting aside the thought of how I could enhance my retirement account by eschewing these trips, I'm always left with the feeling that it's worth it to take them. There'd be no way to compensate for the pleasure I get by adding to my long-term financial security.

QUOTE]

Just wanted to say - I totally agree. DH and I had this talk a long time ago - retire a few years earlier or travel all over the place now...an easy choice for me, as I am a cancer survivor. Cliche as it is, life is so, so short. If you can swing it, GO, don't look back, don't feel guilty, and don't regret that extra 3% of your salary not going into your 401K.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I can't wait to read more about the Sols!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom