Solutions for alternate second stage hose length issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CephBirk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just switched over to a long-hose configuration and am LOVING it! :yeahbaby: I do have one issue though that I'd love to find a solution for. My alternate second stage is on a necklace and lays in a nice position on my chest when not in use. It's on a 22" (56 cm) rubber hose. Problem is that when I donate the primary and switch to the alternate, the alternate hose bows out and pushes in my mouth when I look right and also pulls when I look left. Seems that the hose is too short one direction and too long the other!

Any suggested solutions? I have heard that flex hoses give less push and pull. Maybe switching to a flex hose would help? I've heard they can be floaty though and I'd like to keep the hose neatly on my shoulder out of the way of my long hose.

Are you using a 90° connector between the reg and the lp hose? I found that really helped the reg sit nice and also reducing any pulling on the mouth when turning your head.

Last edited:
I use a ball swivel on both my primary and secondary second stages on most of my reg sets. It helps fix that problem. That said, it is an extra failure point which a lot of people don't like, but for me on the secondary especially, I'd just deal with it as is. You shouldn't be on it for more than a minute or two on each dive anyway *to validate function etc* so it doesn't add enough to warrant futzing with. You will hopefully never actually have to complete an ascent on that reg, and if you do, the slight discomfort for a few minutes will be fine.

To each his own. I don't have them on my current doubles set because it is primarily for my rebreather and is using stock Poseidon hoses. The rest of them all have ball swivels and when I run out of Poseidon hoses in like 20 years, they will end up with ball swivels

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom