Some basic questions for a new diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, glad to have found this site, thanks to anyone who reads this.

I'm a brand new, uncertified diver. I recently returned from Cuba when I ended up getting hooked on diving and spent my whole week under the water there. It actually was the first time in my life I'd even seen the ocean!

Anyhow, now that I'm back home I am looking to get some gear, get certified, and see if I can find some places around Alberta or Ontario, Canada to begin diving.

I am starting to research the right dive kit to buy. Money is not really a big issue with me, I know this is something I want to do forever now and would rather get safe high-quality equipment than get something cheap that I'd end up upgrading in a couple years or less!

Been looking on e-bay and found a few package deals that look good, but I'm not sure if they're Nitrox, or if I even need Nitrox kit. Perhaps someone could offer me some advice on particular brands or places to buy a whole kit (BCD, reg, octo, gauges, computer, fins, snorkel and mask)?

I'm also not sure what kind of thermal protection people use for diving in freshwater lakes here in Canada? Is there a temperature rule of thumb for which kind of lycra, wetsuit, drysuit people use? How many millimetres thick?

What do they use diving in lakes in the Northern United States?

How can I tell if a scuba kit I see advertised is Nitrox or not?

Thanks for your help,
-Warren.

Try first finding a dive shop operator where you will do your training and get your c card. They will give you start up advice, and provide rental gear for you to try out. Once you have tried out various items then you will have a much better idea of what gear you are looking for, what fits, and what is comfortable.

Welcome. Definitely recommend finding a local dive store and getting to know them, and tak the advice from people you trust there. SB is a great place to bounce things off people, but usually you get 1,000 opinions on any question that you ask, not all of which may be relevant to your situation.

Welcome to
:sblogo:

Ask questions ... listen to what others say ... go to Dive Shops ask questions ... look on the net at retailers ... look here and then after you feel very comfortable go ahead and buy.

Hello, glad to have found this site, thanks to anyone who reads this.

I'm a brand new, uncertified diver. I recently returned from Cuba when I ended up getting hooked on diving and spent my whole week under the water there. It actually was the first time in my life I'd even seen the ocean!

Anyhow, now that I'm back home I am looking to get some gear, get certified, and see if I can find some places around Alberta or Ontario, Canada to begin diving.

I am starting to research the right dive kit to buy. Money is not really a big issue with me, I know this is something I want to do forever now and would rather get safe high-quality equipment than get something cheap that I'd end up upgrading in a couple years or less!

Been looking on e-bay and found a few package deals that look good, but I'm not sure if they're Nitrox, or if I even need Nitrox kit. Perhaps someone could offer me some advice on particular brands or places to buy a whole kit (BCD, reg, octo, gauges, computer, fins, snorkel and mask)?

I'm also not sure what kind of thermal protection people use for diving in freshwater lakes here in Canada? Is there a temperature rule of thumb for which kind of lycra, wetsuit, drysuit people use? How many millimetres thick?

What do they use diving in lakes in the Northern United States?

How can I tell if a scuba kit I see advertised is Nitrox or not?

Thanks for your help,
-Warren.
Welcome to the board. Personally I would not recommend getting gear from Ebay. You never really know what you are getting on there. Considering your gear is actually your lifesupport underwater, I would not get anything but good quality, well fitting and properly working equipment. Once you have done some training and have got a feel for what you like and don't like gear wise, talk to your local dive shop and have them fit you with your gear.

-Tricia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom