Some future stuff in the works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In light of our recent tragedy I am going to try and get some base lines done. Nothing exact, but a general idea as to how vehicles react going in at the Honeysuckle Boat Ramp.

So the plans are, for right now anyway, to drive a vehicle or two into the lake and record it from every angle inside and out, above and below the surface.

I want to do it from 25mph and 45mph. 25mph is the speed limit in the area and 45 seems a realistic.

So far we have the blessing up to the Lt. but there is a lot of work to do. I want to try and use the same vehicle we just pulled out. All I have to do is convince the owners, the insurance company, to let us do it. Other than getting it running and replacing a few windows we will be good to go.

Environmental issues should be ok, as these newer vehicles don’t so much as leave a sheen on the water. But we would have containment booms out first anyway.

I do like these newer rigs with the sealed systems. Not so much as an odor of fuel and oil. Sure beats the old days.

This isn’t going to be some small half cocked operation. It will be well planned with the team suited up, all emergency services on station, tows ready, air and exit gear inside, distances marked off on the dock, radar to get good speed records at various distances upon entry and along the travel path.

Hopefully we can get it filmed from the air as well.

The more we know the better we can investigate and reconstruct these accidents.

The department is even planning to strip down and use one of our POS 20’ seizure boats for a crash between it and another vessel and/or PWC.

We are coming out of the dark ages.

Gary D.

Something to think about Gary. This is something I just learned a year ago while taking an advanced auto extrication class. Maybe this is common knowledge to all the veterans. Automobile manufacturers generally take the first 50-100 cars/trucks of any makes and models that come of the assembly lines to be used for testing, quality control, and marketing purposes. Because of the way that these cars are written off as part of business, they MUST be destroyed. (I.E. A car you see in an ad on TV cannot be sold as a factory demo.) When we did our extrication class, there was a representative from Ford on hand with 10 Brand New 2005 cars and trucks. I mean we are talking F-250 KING RANCH Dually and a couple of the new Mustangs. Ford was happy to donate the cars for our training and we got to work with new stuff.

I don't know if you contacted any of the Auto makers they could get you in with someone who manages this type of program. It would give you a chance to work with current cars and you could spend your time and resources elsewhere.

Just a thought......

David

dandrian:
Something to think about Gary. This is something I just learned a year ago while taking an advanced auto extrication class. Maybe this is common knowledge to all the veterans. Automobile manufacturers generally take the first 50-100 cars/trucks of any makes and models that come of the assembly lines to be used for testing, quality control, and marketing purposes. Because of the way that these cars are written off as part of business, they MUST be destroyed. (I.E. A car you see in an ad on TV cannot be sold as a factory demo.) When we did our extrication class, there was a representative from Ford on hand with 10 Brand New 2005 cars and trucks. I mean we are talking F-250 KING RANCH Dually and a couple of the new Mustangs. Ford was happy to donate the cars for our training and we got to work with new stuff.

I don't know if you contacted any of the Auto makers they could get you in with someone who manages this type of program. It would give you a chance to work with current cars and you could spend your time and resources elsewhere.

Just a thought......

David

Great idea. Thanks a bunch. We even have a dealer here locally that can make the connections if any are to be had.

Gary D.

I found out during my training with the Ford rep that at the previous weeks training elsewhere they had cut up the actual car used in the Mustang commerical with Steve McQueen in it. Don't know whether you remember that one or not. We had a Navigator with a 45,000 sticker price and that King Ranch which was close to 50,000 also. We figured that we cut up about $350,000 in new cars in 4 days. If you can get the right contact its a sweet deal.........

David

Gary, if you are going to do your "experiment," maybe you could get one of the TV shows, such as "Myth Busters" involved. Not only do they have money available, they've got some very serious talent for that kind of thing.

Gary, another thought: If you've got so many vehicles going in at that one point, how about an underwater barrier. I'm thinking about something that is deep enough so as not to interfere with boats (I'm thinking 5 feet at low tide.) It would not interfere with boats or launching, but would stop a rolling car where it is shallow enough for either a safe escape or an easy rescue

Gary:

I'm sure you have lots of video people, but if by any chance you need more, I can supply up to 4 cameras with operators and one underwater videographer.

Rick

ItsBruce:
Gary, another thought: If you've got so many vehicles going in at that one point, how about an underwater barrier. I'm thinking about something that is deep enough so as not to interfere with boats (I'm thinking 5 feet at low tide.) It would not interfere with boats or launching, but would stop a rolling car where it is shallow enough for either a safe escape or an easy rescue
A barrier has been proposed in the past but there is no way one can work. At high water, near flood stage the warter is only 12' deep 150' out.

We're in Idaho so if we have a tidal change I want to be on the Ark. :D

Gary D.

Rick Inman:
Gary:

I'm sure you have lots of video people, but if by any chance you need more, I can supply up to 4 cameras with operators and one underwater videographer.

Rick
You're on. We will use all we can get, I think. :wink: But there will be some prior training and safety instructions laid down. Also we will need to see their qualifications and I want to dive with them first.

The good news is I got the Sheriff's OK to go ahead with it. He even suggested we use the same vehicle that just went in. Hummmm, good idea :wink:

Now I have to start the hard stuff. Like permits, people and equipment.

When we get a solid date it will be publicized so any agency that wants to participate or just observe will be able to.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
He even suggested we use the same vehicle that just went in. Hummmm, good idea :wink:

If you use the same vehicle that just went in, how easily will a submerged vehicles engine crank again? or are you just going to do a "bumper push" from a a support vehicle to get it up to speed?

2nd question, are you going to have a driver in it when it hits the water at 45mph? (that sounds a little dangerous).

Now I have to start the hard stuff. Like permits, people and equipment.

you don't need a permit! just tell them you were drunk! that seems to be everyone elses excuse who runs a car in the water there.

When we get a solid date it will be publicized so any agency that wants to participate or just observe will be able to.

Gary D.

Since others made camera suggestions, I'll add mine. Make sure you have a "dash cam" (or roof cam) on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom