Some IOP pictures from last weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful

Daiika:
Heading to IOP this weekend...7/21--22. At first I thought that was a leopard shark but the fins were different. Where is the kelp? I don't recall seeing kelp there.

My bad, it's just seaweed actually. Lots of seaweed!

Thanks for the nice words, I almost didn't put the pictures up since they most at not sharp, not exposed correctly or have the focus somewhere off the focal point.

I wonder if they do night dives at IOP any nights of the year. I think the rocks in front of the entry/exit point would be fantastic for a night dive.

Sodaine and Bitagane in Atami are wonderful nightdives!

I'll try and make one in September, sadly August looks like a no-dive month for me which absolutely sucks.

Hammers spotted this week in Mikomoto!!!

Grrrrrr!!

Geoff_H:
I wonder if they do night dives at IOP any nights of the year. I think the rocks in front of the entry/exit point would be fantastic for a night dive.
Unfortunately no night diving that I know of...another example of a kick-butt site that is limited to death. On saying that, things have been active there recently. The last weekend I was there, I think there were about 3 or 4 rescues on the weekend, and the water was not all that rough...

Geoff, do you recall how long that nudibranch was?

Around a couple of inches long....

Based on the general body configuration, the size, the Izu location, and in particular the pattern of barring on the oral tentacles, the closest I can come to your nudibranch is a Pteraeolidia ianthina. This in no. 591 on page 268 of the book Opisthobranchs of Japan Islands by Nakano Rie, and ISBN4-89977-076-6. I got mine from Amazon.jp The color in the book is more violet-blue on the body, but the examples make me think it may darken with maturity.

Back
Top Bottom