some lobstering questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgplife

New
Reaction score
when you catch them, do you just put them in a buckeet of salt water and take them home to cook or kill them before leaving somehow. Also, is it safe to eat the mollusks in san diego, and where would i find them?

wgplife:
when you catch them, do you just put them in a buckeet of salt water and take them home to cook or kill them before leaving somehow. Also, is it safe to eat the mollusks in san diego, and where would i find them?

Since you live in California, I assume you're talking about spiny lobster ? In California, the DFG regulations require that you to be able to verify the size of lobster whenever they are in your possession. So it's usually a good idea to keep them intact until you get them home. I try to get them into a cooler with ice as soon as possible. I personally prefer to consume the tails only on a spiny lobster. As soon as I get home, I remove the tails and discard the remains. The tails are then either thrown on the grill right away, or get placed in zip-lock baggies, dated, and thrown in the freezer for later consumption.

FYI .... years ago I learned a nice trick from some old-timers for properly removing a lobster tail. Contrary to popular practice, you do not want to wring the tail off then run an antenna up the wazzu to clean out the entrails. This is method is both wasteful and a PITA. Instead, you want to use a nice sharp fillet knife. You first sever the intestinal track, just above the anus. You then run the fillet knife up under the carapace and slowly work your way all around (they really hate this part if they're still alive). If you you've done this correctly, the entire intestinal track remains with the carapace and easily slides right out as you separate the two halves. The extra meat inside the carapace also remains intact with the tail. It's a win-win situation ... except for the poor bug, of course :wink:

Good luck.

sweet, thanks for the tip. And when is the season for spiny lobster and whats the limit per day. I might feel bad doing that to a live lobster, so is it fine to chop off its head before? thanks.

Usually pack on ice right out of the drink... cut around the carapice and give the od twist-tie up the a.....make 4-5 twists and pull out the intestinal track
slap on the barb-e-q, pop a beer and enjoy!
Jimbo

wgplife:
sweet, thanks for the tip. And when is the season for spiny lobster and whats the limit per day. I might feel bad doing that to a live lobster, so is it fine to chop off its head before? thanks.

According to 2006 CA DFG Ocean Fishing Regulations Book, section 29.90.

Spiny Lobsters.
(a) Open season: From the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October through the first Wednesday after the 15th of March.

(b) Limit: Seven.

(c) Minimum size:
Three and one-fourth inches measured in a straight line on the midline
of the back from the rear edge of the eye socket to the rear edge of the body shell. Any lobster may be brought to the surface of the water for the purpose of measuring, but no undersize lobster may be brought aboard any boat, placed in any type of receiver, kept on the person or retained in any person’s possession or under his direct control; all lobsters shall be measured immediately upon being brought to the surface of the water, and any undersize lobster shall be released immediately into the water.​

You can view the publication in its entirety here :
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/oceanfish2006.pdf

Good luck !

I've never really had any luck using one of their antena's to clean out their entrails.
Here is what I do.

I take a tail,
Put it on a cutting board,
Place a large sharp cutting knife over the center of the tail,
Slam the top of the knife with a heavy pot or frying pan so the tail is cut into two long sections
Clean out the entrails with a smaller knife or simular utensil,then rinse
Place sections on the barby meat side up.
Add a little paprika
Baste with garlic'ed butter every few minutes untill done.

The first time I did this was to make some really big old bugs taste better but now I do it to all.
It also makes for easy serving portions at the after the hunt lobster dinner parties.

Back
Top Bottom