Some questions about Dive Organizer for those who have dived the Icon HD net ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sleepr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A couple of questions come to mind. When looking at the gas tab for a listed dive my tank volume is shown as 80 l instead of cubic feet, the operating pressure is shown as 3000 bar as opposed to psi, the tank reserve reads 10878 psi, and the mid tank pressure warning shows 21756 psi! Does anyone else see a similar glitch, as the Max and average gas consumption on the same tab are way out to lunch. If you look at the dive chart tab and select the profile plus consumption option the gas consumption numbers are more in line with what I expect.

Also the software has a profile plus speed option, how is the icon calculating this value in feet per minute?

A couple of questions come to mind. When looking at the gas tab for a listed dive my tank volume is shown as 80 l instead of cubic feet, the operating pressure is shown as 3000 bar as opposed to psi, the tank reserve reads 10878 psi, and the mid tank pressure warning shows 21756 psi! Does anyone else see a similar glitch, as the Max and average gas consumption on the same tab are way out to lunch. If you look at the dive chart tab and select the profile plus consumption option the gas consumption numbers are more in line with what I expect.

Also the software has a profile plus speed option, how is the icon calculating this value in feet per minute?

Yes... I have seen the same. This software is much improved but still has a ways to go to be outstanding. Other issues:

On the Info tab. The depth unit = meter instead of feet.
The Temperature unit = Centigrade instead of Fahrenheit

As you know I hit upon the same problem and my tolerance for this sort of thing is not good. It's obvious they had not tested the software, and unlike with the Atomic Cobalt, there is no one to complain to correct the problems. Did Mares ever reply to your email query?

Still awaiting response, however I did find out a some days later the support site claims not to support the Icon yet, found an address to send my question to on the 10th. While I find the glitches a bit annoying, I'm just happy they seem like they are working slowly on resolving issues. It beats having a computer they want to charge $150 for a download cable and then having archaic software as well.

I did kind of expect the slow development, like Italian motorcycles, cars and most things European there is a different pace of life.

I bought my non AI non upgradeable icon because I couldn't pass it up at $400, and also because the way they connect the compumask to the computer just doesn't work, so it in effect has no dive log at all. Actually being able to download my dives and the price tag are what prompted me to pull the trigger.

Since I don't have AI, I hadn't noticed the bugs in the software you guys are talking about. I must say, since this is the first computer I've owned that actually allows me to download my dives to my computer, I think this log book is great. Since I take a lot of pictures underwater, I like being able to add pictures to the log book. I've been diving since 1992, and I enjoy going back through my log book to bring back memories. I'm sure 15 or 20 years from now I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of this log book. Well worth the price in my opinion.

No I haven't had the luck to try public transportation in Italy, but I was in France and on the Cote D' Azure some time ago and what struck me was the European way of doing things is, don't do today what you can put off till tomorrow. Much more relaxed way of life and somehow things still get done, just not as quick as we are used to in North America. We have a fast food mentality!

As for the software I too like it, and what it offers. I can deal with the bugs for now as they don"t affect my dives directly. I might still look at some of the other software out there, if it really starts to piss me off, but for now it's fine.

I bought my non AI non upgradeable icon because I couldn't pass it up at $400, and also because the way they connect the compumask to the computer just doesn't work, so it in effect has no dive log at all. Actually being able to download my dives and the price tag are what prompted me to pull the trigger.

Since I don't have AI, I hadn't noticed the bugs in the software you guys are talking about. I must say, since this is the first computer I've owned that actually allows me to download my dives to my computer, I think this log book is great. Since I take a lot of pictures underwater, I like being able to add pictures to the log book. I've been diving since 1992, and I enjoy going back through my log book to bring back memories. I'm sure 15 or 20 years from now I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of this log book. Well worth the price in my opinion.

That is a good price, after all, my old Vyper is not much less and you get a lot more in your Icon. Also the non AI one does not include the RF transceiver so it should have better battery consumption in sleep mode.

I never did get a reply from my query from Mares website and when I called the US number I was told to clean the contacts and to remove the battery to reboot-- actions I know have nothing to do with the software bugs in the Dive Organizer.

The whole situation irritated me to no end as I felt I had paid 1.5K $ for the privilege of spending hours to create new problems for myself. So I sent the second computer back and I picked up the Sol. It's an older unit without color, but I'm hoping this will be problem free.

Looking over the Sol so far it seems to me a lot of software ideas for the Icon were taken from the Sol and simplified and adopted in the Icon.

Adam

Understood. Best of luck to you, that's what competiton in the marketplace does for us....gives us these opportunities. If you get a chance, try and post here with your experiences with the Sol, and your comparisons to the icon. I did look long and hard at the Sol, but for reasons I've outlined in this forum, I went with the non AI icon, and I'm happy with it. The only thing I know for sure is that I'll never own another Aeris/Oceanic again.

That is a good price, after all, my old Vyper is not much less and you get a lot more in your Icon. Also the non AI one does not include the RF transceiver so it should have better battery consumption in sleep mode.

I never did get a reply from my query from Mares website and when I called the US number I was told to clean the contacts and to remove the battery to reboot-- actions I know have nothing to do with the software bugs in the Dive Organizer.

The whole situation irritated me to no end as I felt I had paid 1.5K $ for the privilege of spending hours to create new problems for myself. So I sent the second computer back and I picked up the Sol. It's an older unit without color, but I'm hoping this will be problem free.

Looking over the Sol so far it seems to me a lot of software ideas for the Icon were taken from the Sol and simplified and adopted in the Icon.

Adam

Had same problem with Diver Organizer mixing imperial and metric. Reported to Mares back in September (MDT-540820). Just downloaded and installed Version 2.9 of Organizer. Doesn't resolve the problem (at least with data already downloaded).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom