some questions about two layers of wetsuit for cold diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In the winter here in australia, it can get just below 60F or 16C and my 5/4mm suit might not cut it.
Instead of buying a whole new suit i was thinking of getting a vest to go under or over it so overall thickness is more around 7mm, plus a hood either attached to the vest or separate again.

something like this possibly:
XS Scuba Mens 3/4/6 PyroStretch Hooded Vest with Side Zipper
or
Bare 5mm Sport Men's Step-In Hooded Vest

wondering if any vest will do and how comfortable it is wearing two pieces of suit as opposed to one suit but thicker.

think the XS scuba hood will be good enough.. i have an scubapro hood. that i wear under my normal 3mm suit..

the mobility is good as its only top half of the body

that water in the gulf right now is around 60, I wear, a 5mm suit, 3/5 hood/core pull over, and a 5mm shorty, I stay nice and toasty.

Layering neoprene certainly works, but you have to play with the sizes and order of layering in order to make sure that you continue to get a good, close fit without too much water entering through the neck.

Back
Top Bottom