Some questions after reading "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Especially if you're having trouble sleeping. Gary's books will knock your ass out.:sleeping:

Yeah, some of them get a little "long in the tooth" THAT's for sure!

His FIRST Andrea Doria book was concise and a good read..the second one got a little long!

His Lusitania books jump around a lot, but there's some decent "historical" stuff in them apart from his Lusitania dives that actually makes them good reads.

He put a few out fairly recently Shipwreck Saga's and Shipwreck Heresies...the former is a bunch of articles he's written over the years in a condensed format of a book...not a horrible read...(good bathroom book with the shorter storie format)

The latter has a dissertation on the flak he received on his Shadow Divers Exposed book, and at one point he chastises a bunch off people for the arguments on SB, and chastises ME for my "Amazon" review!:rofl3:

If he would use his powers for "good" rather than "evil" we might actually get somewhere with him! (like his "dive guide" series):popcorn:

If he would use his powers for "good" rather than "evil" we might actually get somewhere with him! (like his "dive guide" series)

"With great power comes great responsibility"

I like to think this is true...A person like Gentile who is a legand in the tec/wreck diving world should have a better standard when it comes to criticism. I do enjoy his books and his first book on the Doria is what got me hooked onto tec after I got my OW cert.
Now other books do get a bit long in the tooth but still worth reading.

The Shadow Divers book was just one hell of a read from top to bottom...so to speak..Maby one day we will see another Chatterton book on more of his exploits.

I like to think this is true...A person like Gentile who is a legand in the tec/wreck diving world should have a better standard when it comes to criticism. I do enjoy his books and his first book on the Doria is what got me hooked onto tec after I got my OW cert.
Now other books do get a bit long in the tooth but still worth reading.

The Shadow Divers book was just one hell of a read from top to bottom...so to speak..Maby one day we will see another Chatterton book on more of his exploits.

Don't get me wrong, I really DO like his books, but he sometimes has lapses off of the main subject and goes way out there....sort of reminds me of the character in Clive Cusslers books (St. Julian Perlmutter) who is his "shipwreck research guru" Knows much more about everything than you could imagine, and is happy to relate that information with anyone that will listen. (who knows...Cussler likes to base characters upon people he knows, it just may BE based on him)

In a world where books related to our sport are few and far between, they are a great addition to my "undersea library"!

I only have one of the "Popular Dive Guide" series books, but have a few more on my radar to add to my collection...

If you've read Shadow Divers, you should read "Exposed" for another "view" of the events. I stand by the original as "gospel" but reading another account is interesting, to say the least.

If you've read Shadow Divers, you should read "Exposed" for another "view" of the events.
I tried. I really really did.
But some of his claims were just absurd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom