Some questions on SMB usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have certainly noticed that a 6 foot SMB is more difficult to handle. I tried to deploy it the other day and the beginning was not too bad, it was 'un macello' (= 'a slaughterhouse" = a mess) at the end where my feet got entangled on the line at the surface.

Boy! My regular buddy and I need to practice, practice, practice...

On November 26 I practiced deploying the SMB again. Sorry for the darkness of part of the video. It was the first time that we filmed one of us practicing skills. My buddy experimented with the available light, which obviously was not enough, and later added some light with his dive light.

I had my knees on the bottom at about 30fsw to make things a bit easier so I did not have to deal with neutral buoyancy.It went well until I have to decide how much air to put inside the SMB. During the first attempt I missed the SMB altogether, the other two were OK. I thought I dumped enough air, the SMB was pulling me up but when I reached the surface, after a controlled ascent that went fine, it was all flat on the surface. My SMB is big, 6ft long.

Next time I will try to deploy it while hovering but then how can I prevent from being pulled up by the SMB? If I am negative then I will probably sink and if I am neutral then the force of the SMB will pull me to the surface:confused: If I hover I wouldn't release the spool like I did when I was planted on the bottom. Do I have to keep pulling the string down while ascending in the attempt to keep the SMB vertical at the surface?

Last edited:
On November 26 I practiced deploying the SMB again. Sorry for the darkness of part of the video.
It was good enough to provide the desired feedback, no sweat! :wink:

I had my knees on the bottom at about 30fsw to make things a bit easier
Cheater! :D

I did not have to deal with neutral buoyancy.
IMO, that is THE trick to honing your SMB deployment skills. When you can deploy your SMB while neutrally buoyant AND maintain the buoyancy throughout, then you are skilled! I learned the hard way to always carry an SMB. I have a Zeagle that goes with me everywhere. It is a pain because it only has a fill tube (you can't use your regulator) AND it doesn't have a pressure release, so you have to figure out how much air it takes at depth to have it satisfactorily filled at surface. I use it because it forces me to work on these skills.

It went well until I have to decide how much air to put inside the SMB.
This will come with practice, practice and more practice! At 30' judging by what I saw at the end of the video, you probably put in about 1/2 - 2/3 of what was needed. Keep in mind that you'll have to speed up the filling a little if you want it "full" otherwise you'll be dragged along until it is full enough to release! :D

The deeper you release the SMB (obviously) the less air you need. Consequently, it is a little easier to release the SMB from depth. Additionally, it does give you a little more leeway if you lose neutral buoyancy for a moment or 2.

How can I prevent from being pulled up by the SMB?
To help maintain my buoyancy while filling the SMB this is what I do:
Can you alter your buoyancy with breath control? If so, then try exhaling slowly while filling the SMB and then as you release it, you can begin inhaling. So try and get your filling time down to a breath cycle and use your breath "buoyancy control" to offset the SMB. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't release the spool like I did when I was planted on the bottom. Do I have to keep pulling the string down while ascending in the attempt to keep the SMB vertical at the surface?
I noticed that you remembered to check "overhead" a little late. This is something I have to remember on purpose because I get focused on what skills are critical during deployment: buoyancy and not getting my finger stuck in that stupid little spool!!!! Again, practice will help.

ON keeping your SMB vertical: Some are more prone to vertical through design, others, quite frankly, are problematic. Keep in mind that an SMB is not a flag. If you want a consistent vertical marker, use a flag. We use an SMB to mark our location to others that know we are in the water and are keeping an eye out for us while we are underwater. Once on the surface, the SMB can be raised and waved to get the attention of others.

Last edited:

On November 26 I practiced deploying the SMB again. Sorry for the darkness of part of the video. It was the first time that we filmed one of us practicing skills. My buddy experimented with the available light, which obviously was not enough, and later added some light with his dive light.

I had my knees on the bottom at about 30fsw to make things a bit easier so I did not have to deal with neutral buoyancy.It went well until I have to decide how much air to put inside the SMB. During the first attempt I missed the SMB altogether, the other two were OK. I thought I dumped enough air, the SMB was pulling me up but when I reached the surface, after a controlled ascent that went fine, it was all flat on the surface. My SMB is big, 6ft long.

Next time I will try to deploy it while hovering but then how can I prevent from being pulled up by the SMB? If I am negative then I will probably sink and if I am neutral then the force of the SMB will pull me to the surface:confused: If I hover I wouldn't release the spool like I did when I was planted on the bottom. Do I have to keep pulling the string down while ascending in the attempt to keep the SMB vertical at the surface?

Sorry but I have removed the video and pulled out from You Tube. So you cannot watch more those poor quality images that ignited some fiery comments on YT anymore.

I am getting better at it. I just need more practice:wink:

With all due respect, if a diver cannot hold a midwater stop without a line, then they shouldn't be there in the first place

first i am not going to try to pick a fight with you. i dont think that you ability to keep bouyancy at 15 feet is an issue.. i say this because each bouy has its problems. first on depth i would rather deploy from depth. because of the bouyancy issue of the bouy.

1st it takes less volumn to get a full bouy on the surface.
2nd the larger the bouy the longer it takes to fill refer to #1
3rd my bouy is a large one 6 ft 7" diameter and oral fill only. small 4' 4" smb's is probably not a problem.

the 3rd is a problem in design as it can not be filled with an octo. (rig it with a co2 or
not to buy one of this type)

for these 3 reasons it is easier and safer in my view to deploy from > than safety stop as it does not create as much bouyancy issues at deeper depths. for me deploying at 40-50 ft allows sufficient fill to get a usable marker on the surface but pulls me up 10 ft during the fill. to be near neutral and with a 500 lb tank gives no reserve weight to hold you down during the fill.

either way size does matter in how and where you use your bouy. no pun intended

how would you deal with larger ( oral inflating only) smb's. i will try about anything once.

thanks

Well yesterday my regular buddy and I tried to do air share and deploying the SMB too! We soon realized that it was too much to handle. Then we decided to deploy the SMB only without doing air share. We both took turn to do it and it was not a big deal. We were at about 20 ftw and were hovering above the bottom. We both have a 6ft sausage that we inflate with our regulators. The only thing that I missed was to look up toward the surface before shooting it:shakehead:

When my buddy suggested to practice the deployement of the SMB while doing air share I was not convinced that it was a good idea and told him so. He would not bulge (I guess he was in the 'stubborn' mode...I had mine too later on underwater...It was one of those days!) and remarked "...but what if you have to share air and surface on a boat lane?" So I gave up. We tried and failed...

Seriously...Do you deploy the SMB when you share air?

SOAKED

i have never tried to deploy while sharing air. most of my skills practice have been (sorry to say) centered around the solo conscept. i am going to have to try this. i have a 7 ft primary hose so i dont think that the buddy would necessary have to be in a position to interfere with the deployment. i have however now swapped the air2 for just an inflator so the hose can be used for the smb. i think i can do this from safety stop now. we will see.

fortunately i have not had issues with boats. they pretty well respect the diving areas. a couple of jet skis perhaps in lake travis outside of austin. i have tried to stay near the bouys for surfacing and dive points or pull a bouy if i leave those areas. i hate to pull bouys. but with the solo mindset its hard to think of something that the pony tank cant fix other than a lost fin or injury. in answer to the question Do you deploy the SMB when you share air? i would say no unless i am in a group and it is a group deicided protocal. only happened 2 times though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom