Someone's in for a bad day, I bet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEFINITELY not real. I'm an Aussie. It's too big to be a Blue Ring

I've seen specimens big enough to eat a horse.

blue_ring_octopus_attack_by_barbeddragon.jpg

so you are lying there, eyes wide open (can't even blink) with your hearing working and your heart stopped. So if you get bitten (usually within seconds), then you can lay there with the paramedics pumping your heart while the bystanders tell them to stop because you are dead. After about 20 minutes of your blood pumping (usually by CPR) you wake up and start breathing. If it is a Blue Ring (doesn't look like one), then this photo is taken in the hand of a corpse.

I don't think that's quite right. The toxin paralyses your voluntary muscles, preventing movement and breathing (your diaphragm doesn't work), However the heart is an involuntary muscle and it keeps working. So you effectively suffocate. But if someone can keep pumping air into your lungs (mouth to mouth) then once the toxin wears off you're fine.

I don't think that's quite right. The toxin paralyses your voluntary muscles, preventing movement and breathing (your diaphragm doesn't work), However the heart is an involuntary muscle and it keeps working. So you effectively suffocate. But if someone can keep pumping air into your lungs (mouth to mouth) then once the toxin wears off you're fine.

Yes that is consistent with the information the Australian First Aid Registered Training Organizations are required to teach.

As with all seemingly unconscious casualties be careful what is said around them. They may hear and understand. Think how awful it would be to hear someone say "you may as well not bother.. they won't make it anyway" I reprimanded one of my crew for making a comment like that near a patient I was getting ready to evacuate by chopper back in my Ambulance Unit Chief days. In that case the patient did survive and he turned up at the station a number of months later demanding to spend some time "With the moron who said I wasn't going to make it!" He recognized my voice and I was sure hoping the paramedic in question stayed away until I I reassured him that I had dealt with the matter and the offense wouldn't be repeated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom