Something special at Something Special !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, WOW, and WOW!!!

drrich, try the big island Kona side, Hawaii, Jack's Diving Locker and several more dive ops...One of the hotels for many years has had spot lights on the water out front--mantas learned to feed on krill attracted by the light...and a dive site was established !

Mantas are periodically spotted around Bonaire. We saw a pair some years ago twice in one trip, but none since. The last one I saw reported was around Cliff some months ago.

Way cool, jorgie6! And you got a nice shot of it, too.

We love Something Special. It's super easy and consistently yields great experiences.

Wow!
Something Special is one of my favorite dives on Bonaire, almost always interesting macro and small critters in all the nooks and crannies.
Manta sighting is unique.

@drrich. If you are in Fr. Polynesia, there is a manta cleaning station at Bora Bora. When we dove there off the Paul Gauguin last year, there were four mantas that circled and swam over our group for 35 minutes. Although I did not find the overall diving in FP to be outstanding (but in all fairness to FP we did not dive Fakarava or Rangiroa), that one dive made the entire trip worthwhile. For me, being in the midst of a manta ray school is very special indeed, something I will never forget

Good to know. The main destination known for mantas I’d like to hit someday is a Socorro’s liveaboard.

Hawaii would cost a bunch if I took my wife and daughter, and running off to Hawaii without them? Might have trouble living that one down...:D

I think the OPs point was how rare and special it was to see a manta on the west side of Bonaire. In all the yeas of dived the Caribbean, I've only seen mantas once, at Bonny's Arch, Grand Cayman, of all places.
DSC01848.jpg

Back
Top Bottom