Son Is Neutral But Foot-Heavy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You like that photo don't you? How many times have you posted it?? :D

Once or twice.

Would have used this one, but I'm a bit out of trim...

RJP.jpg

Not sure a BP/W would shift weight farther up than where it is now.

You'll be surprised, as it will. Plus it will also REMOVE several pounds of innate buoyancy of a standard BCD.

Shifting weight still farther up to where it's not really designed to be seems like an extreme solution.

Where is the human body "designed" to wear lead while breathing underwater?

I think experimenting around with leg position might be a better next step for now.

Certainly the easiest/cheapest route to try first. That, and pulling 2lbs off the waist and throwing a 2lb ankle weight on the tank valve will probably go a long way to solving the problem.

As stated (and illustrated, and I like the photo, too) body posture has a powerful influence on trim. If your son lets his knees hang below him, that will tend to rotate him feet down, too.

Does he wear booties? Some neoprene on his feet might help. A nice, thick set of wetsuit booties can create a pound or more of lift.

Where is the human body "designed" to wear lead while breathing underwater?

Good point...

pulling 2lbs off the waist and throwing a 2lb ankle weight on the tank valve will probably go a long way to solving the problem.

...Knowing him, though, he'd forget to take the ankle weight off the valve when changing tanks...but worth trying if the leg position doesn't work.

I had a similar problem (definitely not due to too much lean). My cure was as RJP said, arms out and feet in and a scubapro Mk7. The Mk7 actually overcompensated for some configurations but that was easily controlled by placing the Al tank compensating weights on the lower tank strap rather than the upper.

Apparently I scared 'em away...

Sting_RAY_City.jpg

New specialty course..."How to Play with Stingrays".

1 Kneel in sand.
2. Gently push stingray on nose as they approach.
You passed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom