DIR- Generic Removing kit (BP/W) underwater - risk/reward & weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did this in my cmas * (ow) pool sessions and swapped gear with other students, not to learn the amazing party trick but to get more comfortable with our gear, more understanding to how things worked under water (buoyancy, trim, adjusting weights, straps etc) and so on.

In order to do this comfortably, the diver has to be weighted about the same as the rig. With the current popularity of having all ballast weight attached to the rig in a non ditch-able fashion this maneuver would be really tricky.
The only time I’ve seen divers routinely remove their rigs at depth are the crazy Southern California lobster divers. They will typically dive with only a plastic backpack and no bc wing. They will usually have a 15’ hose wrapped around in a loop that is bungeed to the side of the tank. When they come to a cave or lobster hole that is too small for them to fit into while wearing a tank they will slip off the rig and place it by the entrance to the cave. They will undo the hose and go in free swimming on hookah. When they come out they simply wrap all the hose around their neck and move on. They wear all their weight on a belt and generally use large steel tanks. They also dive wet in 7mm suits. Other than that, the only time I’ve heard of removing the rig at depth is in class (theory) but I’ve never done it on an ocean dive and don’t know of anybody who’s done it during normal diving. Lobster divers are not normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom