sonar pulses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It seems unnecessarily aggressive and pointless to do something that could harm divers.

Doubtful.
I've been a dozen miles away diving off the coast of NC when a Burke was using her AN/SQS-53 active sonar and I thought I was going to burst an eardrum. Active sonar isn't a joke.

An early wreck hunter by the name of John Steele had a WW2 era bulb sonar for finding wrecks in the lakes. At full blast he would leave a trail of dead fish in his wake.

I've been a dozen miles away diving off the coast of NC when a Burke was using her AN/SQS-53 active sonar and I thought I was going to burst an eardrum. Active sonar isn't a joke.

An early wreck hunter by the name of John Steele had a WW2 era bulb sonar for finding wrecks in the lakes. At full blast he would leave a trail of dead fish in his wake.
Deafen, yes. injure, yes. Kill? Gotta be pretty close. LOTS of research on this, much of it about marine mammals. Military active sonars are about 230 dB. Death is possible at 200 dB. With spherical spreading, even a km away is pretty good. Even with cylindrical spreading, a km is maybe OK.
A good site for such info is here.

I know it's a different thing but I have heard explosions on 3 occasions in the Philippines within a kilometer (probably, according to local guides) and one of those was maybe 200 meters. I also have experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq of very near explosions. The blasts underwater seemed much more intense despite probably having been small sticks of dynamite while military hardware at similar distances wasn't much of a big deal. Even a jdam strike on a cave (bunker buster) at 1200 meters made me bounce off the ground and it didn't compare to the sound of a little blast a kilometer away underwater. Particularly when it was very close, I was dizzy for a few days.

I wonder about military research on this subject.

I know it's a different thing but I have heard explosions on 3 occasions in the Philippines within a kilometer (probably, according to local guides) and one of those was maybe 200 meters. I also have experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq of very near explosions. The blasts underwater seemed much more intense despite probably having been small sticks of dynamite while military hardware at similar distances wasn't much of a big deal. Even a jdam strike on a cave (bunker buster) at 1200 meters made me bounce off the ground and it didn't compare to the sound of a little blast a kilometer away underwater. Particularly when it was very close, I was dizzy for a few days.

I wonder about military research on this subject.
Here is one paper that showed the U.S. Navy has experimented with its divers and how they react physiologically to high noise underwater.

This is of interest to me as I’m former USAF Pararescue, and am a retired industrial hygienist who is on the American Industrial Hygiene Association’s (AIHA’s) Noise Committee.

SeaRat

Here is one paper that showed the U.S. Navy has experimented with its divers and how they react physiologically to high noise underwater.

This is of interest to me as I’m former USAF Pararescue, and am a retired industrial hygienist who is on the American Industrial Hygiene Association’s (AIHA’s) Noise Committee.

SeaRat
I'm still reading and I find it difficult to follow but I'm tracking so far. The symptoms remind of what I read about l-rads being used on people. I even heard about someone using one to play weaponized Spice Girls in Sadr City. I don't doubt for a second that the People's Subjugation Army would weaponize their sonar just to be jerks and say they did nothing. I bet something like it would even explain Havana Syndrome. Thanks for the link, it will take me a while to get through it.

Back
Top Bottom