Sony A6300 Lense Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olei301

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, just bought the new Sony a6300 and i would like to take it underwater soon. I will get the new Nauticam housing for the 6300 which will ship end of Mai.

I just filmed a little with the GoPro and used my Canon 7d with a ewa marine bag so far. I would like to get some Sony Lenses to take advantage of the fabulous autofocus system
of the camera (I use my Canon Lenses with the Metabones adapter).

Now it comes to the question which lense would be the best.

Sony 16-70F4 or Sony 16-35F4 combined with wet wide and macro converters would have the benefit of switching everything underwater if needed.

Or better the Sony 10-18F4 with a domeport and the Sony 90mm F2.8 macro with the correct port for it (90mm with 1.5 crop maybe to much?).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts - sorry for the bad English:(

Cheers

The Sony 10-18 and 90mm are going to out perform the other lenses with adapters, but not be as versatile. They are also going to be a lot more expensive.

But trying to switch up the WWL and CMC wide and macro lenses underwater is a little impractical as the wide lens is pretty bulky to carry around off the camera housing.

Hello, just bought the new Sony a6300 and i would like to take it underwater soon. I will get the new Nauticam housing for the 6300 which will ship end of Mai.
Congratulations

Now it comes to the question which lense would be the best.

Sony 16-70F4 or Sony 16-35F4 combined with wet wide and macro converters would have the benefit of switching everything underwater if needed.

Or better the Sony 10-18F4 with a domeport and the Sony 90mm F2.8 macro with the correct port for it (90mm with 1.5 crop maybe to much?).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts - sorry for the bad English:(

Cheers

Nothing wrong with the English.

I cant comment on the specific lens, as I don't use them. I have a Nex 5n in a Nauticam housing. For Wide I use the 16mm with the Ultra Wide adaptor in the dome port. For 'general' use I use the 16-50mm in a flat port. I am planning to use a Dioptre to get greater macro, and will trial this next week :)

With respect to switching under water, I decide if I am doing wide or 'macro' for a dive based on the subject. If on wrecks it is wide on coral it is macro (well I have a zoom).

I like the 135 mm length of the 90mm and that it can also be used at 90mm on full frame if you ever add that to your bag. I also think the Zeiss 12mm F/2.8 is an excellent choice for rectilinear wide angle, better than the zoom but more costly.

Hello! I'm also waiting for my a6300 and Nauticam housing. Getting the Sony FE 90mm for macro. The lens and ports are quite pricey, but since I shoot macro most of the time, I decided to splurge! For wide angle, I'm buying a friend's used 16mm pancake, fisheye converter and dome. It's not as sharp as the 10-18mm, but hopefully it will do the trick :)

sorry..just hijack a little of this thread...

for those that ordered the nauticam housing... how long did nauticam says they will have it shipped?

I ordered mine from a shop here in the Philippines last Wednesday. Today they sent me a message that it has arrived at the shop :) Just waiting for the camera now!

27:
I ordered mine from a shop here in the Philippines last Wednesday. Today they sent me a message that it has arrived at the shop :) Just waiting for the camera now!

Would love seeing some test shots, will you guys be doing any video?

I still can't decide between the superior sony image quality or one of the more ergonomic/cheaper Panasonics (GX80 for example) :(

Would love seeing some test shots, will you guys be doing any video?

I still can't decide between the superior sony image quality or one of the more ergonomic/cheaper Panasonics (GX80 for example) :(

Sure, I can post some test shots from my trip in early May. Don't usually take video, but might take some this time around.

Good luck deciding. Took me a year to commit to a camera! Lol.

27:

kool... because i just saw it at the singapore dive show (ADEX) a display set .. hahaha...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom