Sony A6300 Lense Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think with the 10-18 from Sony it should be ok (it is stabilized, OSS). It can be turned off in the camera for pictures.

In body stabilization would be nice but there must be something less to the alpha 7 series :wink:.

I think white balance has been an issue with the a6000. I have to see how it behaves (it has a underwater wb setting).

The lenses that I mentioned before are not going to work with the Nauticam WWL-1 (16-70 &16-35).

Wide angle would be the Sony 16mm pancake + fisheye converter behind the small 4" dome or the Sony 10-18F4/ Zeiss 12F2.8 behind the 7" acrylic or glass dome.

The other option would be the 16-50 kit lens with a wet wide lens. I own the 16-50 and its crap. Would be stupid to built such an expensive system with a pile of shards.

I don't like the 16mm Sony lense and tested the Zeiss 12mm. AF worked a lot better with the Sony 10-18 so I bought it.

I'm a bit afraid of the big 180mm glass dome - wished it would stay a bit smaller :)

Cheers

Sony 10-18 also works with the same 85-120 60mm port extension and the ZEN Underwater 170mm optical glass port, an excellent port as well.

While the 7" dome is less of an expense it only fits that one lens and the Olympus 12-40 zoom. The Zen 170mm and Nauticam 180mm because they use extensions will accommodate a wider verity of lenses, they are transferable to Sony A7 & A7 II housings and most if not all Nauticam DSLR housings. One size never fits all but if you plan on moving forward with your photography the versatility of these domes may save you in the long run.

I love my Zeiss 12mm Touit lens with the Zen 170mm dome. Best WA for my NEX7. I also use the 50mm Macro lens. With a good focus light i tis terrific. Would love the 90mm but need to save up some more money

Hi!
Im upgrading (from a Canon S100 Recsea housing with Inon UWL-100 with the Dome) to the A6300 with Nauticam housing.
I'm torn between using the kit lens 16-50 with Nauticam's WWL1 and CMC to switch underwater or the 10-18mm f4 lens with the Nauticam 7 inch dome. (I'd leave the macro side of things for now)
How much wider will the 10-18 combination be than the kit lens and the WWL1? What is the field of view of the 10-18 with the 7inch dome port?
How will the 10-18mm lens compare to the set up I already have in terms of wideness?
Olei301- you say you bought the 10-18, what dome are you using, do you have sample pictures?
Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)
Angel Fish- Nice Flikr pictures btw!

@conger, you don't want to consider the 16mm pancake and either the Fisheye or Ultra-wide in the Nauticam 4.33 Dome? Nauticam's WWL1 looks like it will make the camera quite 'bulky', possible more applicable to the POS cameras that can't interchange lens.

I have a Nex-5n in the Nauticam housing and use the 16mm pancake with the Ultra-wide in the Nauticam 4.33 Dome.

I use the 16-50 as a general purpose set-up and add the Inon 165M67 to get 'closer' macro. Its not the best option but it also is not expensive!

Hi Tbar,
Thanks for your reply!
I opted for the 10-18mm in the Nauticam 7inch dome. It has been ordered and will not have it for another few days at least, but I'm hoping its gona be a good choice! :wink:
Didn't know about the wide and fish eye converter options for the pancake lens..
Which port do you use for the 16-50mm?
Will post how I get on later when I get to test my new system!!
:)

If you didn't know about the wide and fish eye converter options for the pancake lens, than I am not sure if have seen Nauticam's port chart http://www.nauticam.com/images/catalog/catalog_23.pdf

I have the 16-50 in the 36128, Port 45 with knob. I have the zoom gear, but find this 'fitting' not reliable it needs to be fitted to a fin tolerance but the little rubber bits between the inter and outer sections don't work well and it can move resulting in a random fixed focal length for the remainder of the dive!

I expect your choice will be better and more versatile than the fixed length options I have - have fun.

My photography has a long way to go before I will say I am outperforming the lens!

Dont have my housing yet. I will get the 180mm glass dome and not the 7" acrylic. I think it's a much better choice then the 16-50 with WWL or the 16mm + converter behind the small 4"'dome.

People have mentioned about the A6300 having bad AF with the Sony 90mm lens. How bad is it underwater for macro and super macro. I am looking for a new camera for mainly macro but that can shoot 4K and I am leaning towards this camera but worried I will have focus issues. I am migrating from my old canon s95 setup with wet lens which I loved but want to improve my image quality. Any help or advice would be appreciated. If anyone can recommend another setup that isn't a dslr (too big) then I would be appreciative. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom