Sony CCD-TR917 - Help finding housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I have an old Sony CCD-TR917 camcorder, and would like to use it to do some underwater video. I have not had any luck finding out if an underwater housing was ever available for this model, and if so, what to look for. Can anyone out there send me some info?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that model camera, but does it have a small jack labeled "LAN-C" ?? If so, then many housings will work with it... LAN-C is sony's remote control cable input. It allows for on/off - start/stop - zoom, as well as other functions sometimes.

Thanks! Looks like the model is 6035.97. Now I just get to try to find one!

I appreciate the help!

-Brad

IslandFrog:
Hi, I have an old Sony CCD-TR917 camcorder, and would like to use it to do some underwater video. I have not had any luck finding out if an underwater housing was ever available for this model, and if so, what to look for. Can anyone out there send me some info?

Thanks!
Howard's got it. Your camcorder is the same as a CCD-TR940. It has a LANC jack. So you've got two different housing options, electronic or mechanical.

Any non-camera specific electronic housing will work. As long as the port matches up to your lens or it has a clear full front port. And your camera fits inside the housing.

An Ocean Images Dolphin Pro or an Undersea Video Housings T9 should work. They would be the higher priced options in an electronic controls housing.

It's possible it would fit into a Top Dawg or a Light & Motion Stingray Sport as well. I'm not sure as they're a little smaller being designed around the MiniDV cameras.

In mechanical housings, i.e. levers are used to control all the camera functions instead of electronic pushbuttons via the Lanc circuitry there are a couple of options:

The Ikelite housings for 8MM/Hi8 cameras have been discontinued for a while. Yours will fit Ikelite model# 6035.97 - only. They're built for a specific camera model, so you have to find one built for your camcorder so the controls line up. You might find one on eBay. But I kind of doubt it. And a lot of the older Ikelite housings didn't have model #'s on them - don't know why exactly.

Another option for a mechanical housing would be the Equinox Pro-Pak 6. They still list the TR-940 on their compatibility list.

A simpler option would be a mechanical tube housing from Aquatix, Atmo-Seal or Yellow Jacket. These give up some control functions for price.

The least expensive option I've seen lately is the Nemo 100 sold on eBay. It's just a tube with handles but sells for $129. You can use your camera's remote to start/stop the camera on the boat before you hit the water.

Links to all these mfrs. websites are in a thread at the top of this forum.

hth,

Also... If it has LANC, as Steve says it does... then you can get the Sony SPK-TRB if you can find one on E-Bay... I have one (it's in my avitar photo) and it works really well with the LANC controls. Sony doesn't make them anymore, but it's HUGE, and most cameras will fit it.

All,

Thanks for all the great information. There are a couple of the Sony SPK-TRB units on e-bay, with luck maybe I can get one. Thanks Again!

howarde:
Also... If it has LANC, as Steve says it does... then you can get the Sony SPK-TRB if you can find one on E-Bay... I have one (it's in my avitar photo) and it works really well with the LANC controls. Sony doesn't make them anymore, but it's HUGE, and most cameras will fit it.
Are you sure that your housing is SPK (sport pack) or is MPK (marine pack)?

I'd take a look at Backscatter's Top Dog made by Light & Motion (as previously mentioned). It fits a wide range of Sony TR and TRV camcorders and there's a compatibility list on their web site.

paulpost:
Are you sure that your housing is SPK (sport pack) or is MPK (marine pack)?

Sorry !
you're right it's MPK-TRB the one that's rated to 70M I think. Deeper than I go...

Back
Top Bottom