Sony DCR-PC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevensally

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting either the Sony DCR-PC1000 or Sony DCR-HC90 in an Ikelite housing with Ikelite video light. However with the advent of High definition I'm not sure if I should hold out and get the Sony HDR-HC1 High definition camera. The problem is if I go for the HC1 I can't afford the video light. Can anyone help me decide. I'm inclined towards the PC-1000 since in the Ikelite housing you can use the screen without a mirror and access most of the cameras functions, however I am worried about the low light performance of the PC1000. Most of my diving is done abroad in fairly clear water and at a maximum depth of 25 to 30 meters. I would be very grateful for any advice.

please don't take this post the wrong way... please... the folks here LOVE to help other folks..... but have you tried the SEARCH FUNCTION? this might narrow down your question(s) a bit. the ones above are pretty broad strokes.

Sorry if I am repeating questions already answered but I am just looking to start in underwater videography and am trying to absord as much information as possible before I make my decision to purchase. Yes I have searched the boards for information but none seems to be specifiic to the cameras and housings I am looking at. There seems to be less choice in England for reasonably priced underwater housings than America. Also I am new to Scubaboard so perhaps I am asking the wrong questions or in the wrong place. I will see if I can find some books on the subject instead.
Thanks

Hey Steven dont worry about it. we are always happy to help fellow Scubaboard members out. Here are some answers to your questions:

First off, I want you to know you are definately on the right track as far as cameras go. Both are excellent.

One thing I always tell people is...even if it may take a little longer to get everything you need/want..do it right the first time and be happy. That being said you cannot go wrong with either camera...but I would suggest going with the HC1 and a housing (Gates or Light & Motion)...and then saving to get the appropriate lighting system as opposed to going cheaper just so you can have it all now. I think you will be much happier int he long run...after all your camera is probably going to be with you for a while.

If you do decide to go with the PC1000 ( which is fantastic, its my #1 selling compact video system), I would seriously take a look and consider going with the Gates or Light & Motion housings. Akthough slightly more expensive, the build quality, optics, material and controls are far superior than other housings on the market. The available lighting options are great as well for those systems and come in a variety of price ranges.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send them along via PM or post them here. Good luck on your quest and always feel free to ask away.

Hey Steven dont worry about it. we are always happy to help fellow Scubaboard members out. Here are some answers to your questions:

First off, I want you to know you are definately on the right track as far as cameras go. Both are excellent.

One thing I always tell people is...even if it may take a little longer to get everything you need/want..do it right the first time and be happy. That being said you cannot go wrong with either camera...but I would suggest going with the HC1 and a housing (Gates or Light & Motion)...and then saving to get the appropriate lighting system as opposed to going cheaper just so you can have it all now. I think you will be much happier int he long run...after all your camera is probably going to be with you for a while.

If you do decide to go with the PC1000 ( which is fantastic, its my #1 selling compact video system), I would seriously take a look and consider going with the Gates or Light & Motion housings. Akthough slightly more expensive, the build quality, optics, material and controls are far superior than other housings on the market. The available lighting options are great as well for those systems and come in a variety of price ranges.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send them along via PM or post them here. Good luck on your quest and always feel free to ask away.

Hi thanks for replying I was begining to loose faith in scubaboard. I have browsed the uk web and at the moment can't find any reasonably priced UK suppliers of the Amphibico or Gates housings. I have tried the local underwater suppliers around my area and neither stock them. Thanks to you I am now down to two cameras. The housing for the HC1 I am currently looking at requires a mirror to see the screen, is this OK or in bright light is it more likely to be washed out. Also you cannot use the touchscreen on the HC1 in the housing. I will continue to search for the suggested options but given I may be stuck with using the Ikelite housings which camera and housing would you go for.

Many Thanks

Does the PC1000 as a low light performance ?? Because water here in are not the best.In the cameras specifications how do I see that, is the LUX lower the better?

The lower the LUX number, the better the camera performs in low light. My experiences with the PC1000 is it performs pretty well. The waters here in Southern California are pretty dark quite often but the videos turn out very well. I also sold one to a customer in British Columbia and he said his videos have turned out great. However, as with most video, I would highly suggest shooting with lights!

stevensally:
I was thinking of getting either the Sony DCR-PC1000 or Sony DCR-HC90 in an Ikelite housing with Ikelite video light. However with the advent of High definition I'm not sure if I should hold out and get the Sony HDR-HC1 High definition camera. The problem is if I go for the HC1 I can't afford the video light. Can anyone help me decide.

Tough decision. But you gotta make it yourself. :D

I have the older PC-330 in an Light and Motion (L&M) Mako housing. It shoots great UW video and is easy to handle and lug around. But, sometime in the next few months, I'll migrate to HD. Why? I am a quality freak, always searching for better quality. It is a problem. Keeps me poor.

But, I suspect that, for most underwater video, you will be hard-pressed to tell the difference between SD and HD, because the UW environment is usually the definitive factor on image quality. Unless you are shooting in crystal-clear water, I am not sure how much difference you will see.

Another pricing factor is video editing. If you are at all serious about UW video you have to put a lot of effort into the editing. Just running your DV tape into a TV is not going to impress your audience for long. There are many good, cheap video editors for SD. But for HD, you need a decent editing system and that'll cost.

And I agree with the earlier comments about the housing. If you can, buy a good one with a broad range of easy-to-get-at controls. There is a heck of a lot to manage when you first get into UW video so camera control placement is important. I love my L&M Mako.

By the way, when I move to HD I might put my L&M Mako on the market. With a slight modification it'll fit the PC-1000. Wanna make me an offer.

Regards
Peter

Thanks for your help. I might be interested in the Mako if it is easily adjusted for the PC1000. Is it in full working order. What sort of condition?. How much do you think you may wan't for it.

Back
Top Bottom