SONY DSC-P10 or CANON S50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rider

New
Reaction score
I am a begganer with photography
I don't know which camera should i chose between:

1-SONY DSC-P10 with MPK-PHA Housing
2-CANON S50 with Canon WP-DC300 Housing

then , if i bought one which storbe i will chose & frome where i can buy it on-line?

Rider:

then , if i bought one which storbe i will chose & frome where i can buy it on-line?

Hi Rider...My SO gave me the Sony with housing for Christmas. I have not been in the water with it yet so I can't tell you about performance, but I do know he got a great deal on it through www.pcmall.com.

I just ordered the S50 from dell.com a few days ago using a coupon code I got online. Total was $335 shipped.

Amazon.com has the WP-DC300 Housing on sale for $149.00 which is a great deal.

check out www.slickdeals.net, maybe they'll post some more coupon codes.

I can attest from personal experience that the s50 takes great photos underwater. The camera is small and so is the housing which I really like underwater. So small you can forget you brought your camera while you're down.

I own Canon's S45, the S50's predecessor.

Love that rig, although I've never used it u/w. (Should try it one day) That camera has most of the features my classic SLR camera has, so you can really take the pics the way you want them.

I can't give you any feedback on the Sony though, I've never used that one.

So long

fan(t)a(s)tic

The Sonys give failry decent quality though the Canons have better white balance adjustment.
I don't know about the depth rating of the housings for the cameras that you mentioned but the previous Canons were only depth rated to 30m whereas the Sonys could go to 40m

orangeBloke:
I don't know about the depth rating of the housings for the cameras that you mentioned but the previous Canons were only depth rated to 30m whereas the Sonys could go to 40m

The WP-DC300 is rated to 30m, but i know an instructor who takes his to 100-120 feet daily with no problems.

Also, the sale at amazon.com is over.. buy.com now has the best price. $149.

Rider:

The P10 is fully automatic camera. It is good if you want a point-and-shoot camera and you will be using the internal flash only. Because it chooses the aperture and shutter speed for you adding an external strobe may be a little harder and un-predictable.

The S50 has full-automatic and full manual modes. The manual mode is not as easy to use as a point-and-shoot camera but it will give you more control over your exposure, especially if you add a strobe. The only painful thing about the S50 housing is that you can't access all the functions directly and you have to use some work-arounds (see the bottom of this page: http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/PSS50/PSS50_3000-e.html ). As for strobes the Sea and Sea YS-90DX, Inon D-180 and Ikelite DS50 with a manual controller would be the recommended choices.

Marebythesea:
My SO gave me the Sony with housing for Christmas.
Mare, for me it was my brother for my b-day. :D

Rider, very good camera, if you can live with auto only.
A friend of mine has been using it with his video light without any problems (UK Light Canon). Sony does offer an UW strobe, though, as well as filters and such.
Both cameras are reviewed in detail at Steve's Digicams website, though not underwater.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/p10.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s50.html

http://www.digideep.com/ has samples taken with cameras.

Back
Top Bottom