Sony HC 9 "is it worth going HD with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

video joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm at a crossroads with my videography. Up until now I've taken my Sony PD 170 DVCAM with the giant Ikelite anchor housing to hell and back but technology has passed us by. Before I drop 10 g's it's dawned on me that I do have the Sony HC 9 and would be willing to make the switch over to HD but wanted to hear about those with experience using the Sony HC 9 "in HD mode" before buying a new underwater housing plus a new editing system "computer and software" to handle HD

Since you already own the HC9 how do you like it ? How do you like it compared to your PD170 ? Have you shot much low light indoor stuff ?

The HC9 HDV files should not be that hard to edit. Much easier than the newer camcorder files. How does your current computer handle the HDV files ?

I wouldn't invest in an expensive housing for the HC9. It's old technology and the tape drive will go on you or need servicing. But if you are happy with it topside, it might be worth getting a cheap housing.

one issue with the HC9 is that you will never get it to white balance below 20-30 feet. otherwise it's a decent little camera but i agree with everything ronscuba said above. it's getting old and the tape drive will cause you some trouble at some point.

check out my videos, they were all shot on an hc9 in a gates housing.

Alex

If you can not get the HC9 to white balance below 20 feet what are you setting the White balance to, Outdoor? Auto? or are you just setting the white balance above 20 feet and leaving at that. I have the HC9 and am going the the philippines on Thursday. Enjoyed your videos, did you change any of the other settings? Mine seem to come out with a green tint.

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

I would typically try my best to white balance as I was descending but eventually more or less just gave up on white balancing and would leave it on auto and try my best to color correct a bit in post. Otherwise, I generally kept the settings on manual focus adjusted to infinity. In autofocus mode the camera will often "hunt" for focus and will produce images that go in and out of focus as it has difficulty locking in on focus.

i still use a hc9 underwater.
Yes focus problem would be for any camera, It important having the abilty to fix-focus for low contrast scenes such as low water visablity. but auto focus is not a problem other then that. When given a button on the housing the photo button will get you a still camera at the same time as video. (even while in video standby) The Flash on the camera helps stills. But is partially trapped inthe housing. Can even be synced to an external sttl strobe given flat window housing. I use a on camera wide angle full time. Tape gives mpeg2, which edits fines in a modern editor. tapes are still inexpensive about 1/3 of flash (per bit?). Tapes are immeadatly archiveable by putting full ones on the shelf. The time of tape cameras is ending at this time. (as a new product purchase) I have read that cx550 (flashmemory) is a worther camera (2 years newer ) with better lower light and built in wide angle. Power on tape startup 8 seconds, i guess , is slower then a flash camera? so some shots could be lost. Power on standby the heads are spining lightly on the tape in the same spot and if waiting in standby alot can get the heads dirty.

Answer to post> HC9 is worth going to HD at the right price, it must be a discount as when as comparing to CX550.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom