Sony HC1 housing recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get one of the few available HC1s and am considering housings for it. I had originally planned to go with the ikelite housing when the camera came out. Now that the housings have been out for a while I'm considering going electronic. Primary things I'm looking for are white balance and not having to look through the viewfinder. What housing do you have for this camera and what do you like / not like about it.

Thanks
Judy

I have the Amphibico HD EVO. It's a really well-built housing that's simple to load and go. The back is hinged and double o-ringed so there's just one positive locking latch to close it. The front ports are changeable with a simple twist and lock.

I just used it a week in the BVI's and it's got really great balance. The only thing I'm going to probably change is that with the QM71-D battery, it's slightly negative. I prefer my housings to be slightly positive or neutral. There are some weights in a track on the bottom so it's an easy fix.

There is an add-on monitor available from Amphibico, but for $1400 I'm looking at other options. Especially since I found out recently that their external cable works with other, less expensive options.

Although the back viewport on the EVO is large enough to easily see the whole viewfinder clearly and it's right up against the back since the hinge is about 1" in, when the cover is closed it's really close. I actually couldn't buy the bigger QM91-D battery because of it.

If you want to use the Tele-macro or Expanded Focus buttons on the HC1, you'll have to buy the EVO Pro for $1000 more. It also adds more control functions on the left handle - mine has none.

My reason for choosing it over the L&M Bluefin was primarily that it was $1000 less. And gave the same functionality for what I'm using it for. I only shoot in bright water w/o lights so ymmv.

There is no White Balance control available on any electronic housing that I'm aware of for the HC1. Because no housing maker has been able to control it via the LANC port. I've even read somewhere that L&M says it's impossible due to the design. So the EVO, the L&M Bluefin, the USVH MiniDV and the standard O/I HDV all can't do it.

Ocean Images provides a mechanical control on their electronic housing that allows you to press the touchscreen. But only on their HC1 Professional model.

So you need to touch the screen for WB. Like Ikelite does using one of their control rods.

Gates does it also, but they somehow allow you to access the menu on their external monitor. This was just being implemented when I bought my EVO, so I don't know the details but Mike Luzansky at H2OPhotoPro's (H2OPHOTOPRO on SB) has one and knows how it works.

PM with any questions,

Wow that's a comrehensive reply. I've seen the L&M Bluefin and it is a marvelous housing. Compact with easy controls and very tough. I've also tried my HC1 in a Top Dawg (modified L&M Stingray) and it works ok there too. You can't beat that housing for obselesence resistance since it is universal. Having said that, I have an Ikelite and I'm very happy with it. For the money and having access to 90% of the controls and screen functions, It's hard to beat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom