Sony HC1 Or HC3 High Def

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divejax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anyone know which of the subject high definition cameras works best for U/W video. I've been using the shop camera the JVC 30GB hard drive. Its OK but I want something closer to broadcast quality to shoot video offshore here in Ga. for TV.
Pardon my ignorance on this subject and I appreciate any advice on which camera does best. I know Ikelite has a housing for the HC1 but they say it may be a month or more before the HC3 housing is ready. I will wait if the HC3 is the better choice

Thanks

If you really want the best quality you probably should go for the Sony Z1-U or FX-1, however, the A1-U is damn good and most couldn't tell the difference. It is the same size as the HC-1 except that it has XLR Audio which is removed before placing it in the housing. An important advantage of the A1-U is that it has an assignable button for white balancing purposed. I would look strongly at the Gates housing for it. Can't think of a more dependable and durable housing bar none and it has a one step WB button for the A1-U. The HC-3 is missing far too many important features for me to even consider it. I know many who are happily using the HC-1, and even tho they do not have the easy WB control, they can access it with a multiple step switch also on the Gates housing. Hope this helps.
Steve:14:

Thanks for the help Steve. I think the HC1 or the A1U will be pobably be the way to go for us for a start. Everybody that has the HC1 seems to love it from what I have been reading. My family's planning a trip to South Africa so this will also be great for filming the Great Whites & Big 5 there too.

I just bought an HC1 this week, and am blown away by the video quality. The thing I learned from the shopping experience is that this camera is out of production and being completely replaced with the HC3. I spent hours online and on the phone trying to find one...all of the NY camera shops promise to have them in stock, then they call back 5 minutes later to tell you it'll be 3-4 weeks before it arrives from Asia. Finding a US version is really tough, and I bought 1 of only 5 that Outpost.com had in stock.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4492926?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Scuba Pimp,
You might find it much cheaper to go to Guadalupe Island to find the Great Whites. Certainly you will see more of them at GI than in S. Africa and the water will have much better visibility. S. Africa and Gansbaii is a real crap shoot; some days we couldn't even get into the boats, vis was less than great. It is cheap there however.
I would still tell you to get the A1-U for ease of white balance, better topside audio and several other features. There is also a Hands On tutorial disc produced by Vortex Media that I hardily recommend and its cheap.
Steve:14:

Thanks guys I'm buying the HC1 tomorrow. The prices on these things swing wilder than suba gear. I've seen 900 at one place and 1900 at another. The BH price looks best. What software do you guys use to downlaod the video to DVD?

Thanks for all the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom