Sony HC3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shoot most of my subjects with lights ablazing so this doesn't bother except if shooting "panoramics" at extreme depth where light is limited.

limeyx:
From my limited understanding (and since no one can actually get these cams yet), it seemed like as the available light decreased, the cams would automatically slow down the shutter speed to "get more lux"

No idea what the implications are for diving, but if that's really the way it works, I'd definitely think I would want a way to disable it!

Brings up an interesting point tho -- does it just go from 1/60 to 1/30 or is it a more gradual (and insidious) transition?

Question.
I am also concerning about the performance of the camera in dim light.
Most of us are concerning about the 1/30 s which may lead to unclear images.
I am not a HC3 user, but according to the spec, there is a "slow motion mode"
which will increase the frame by 4 times.
So my question is, if we really start to see unclear images due to the motions of the object we aimed (in dim light), can we use this "slow motion mode" to increase the speed of image capturing, thus improve the image quality? Or it's not going to help?

HC3 "slow motion mode": NTSC 240 frame/s ; PAL 200 frame/s

paulpost:
What kind of lights do you use? If may ask?

Ancient SunRay 3400 K light... only one left since the other flooded and they don't make them anymore. I'm saving up for the HID's.... after I buy the HC5 or HC7.

My guess is that if the light level is that low, the slow mo feature won't function. After all, the shutter speed would have to be very fast to capture all the frames.

paulpost:
What kind of lights do you use? If may ask?

I think you were asking DrBill, but I will answer also :)
I use dual Salve 24W HID video lights with deflectors.
9.somthing Amp/Hr Li-ion battery (in a canister) gives about 150 mins burntime and those suckers are pretty bright.

drbill:
My guess is that if the light level is that low, the slow mo feature won't function. After all, the shutter speed would have to be very fast to capture all the frames.

Yeah, I am not so sure about it either.

But honestly, 2 lux is pretty darned dark.
I think we have to really evaluate the "real world" performance here and I think the camera will be OK in what we call low-light.

My main concern is being able to disable enough of these "auto" functions to get a stable image.

Thank you for both of the replies.

I feel more comfortable after hearing the comment.
I guess I was not too sure about the 1/30 s because somehow it instantly reminded me about the lowest shutter speed I'd use for a manual camera without a tripoid was 1/60 s.
I hope the 1/30 for the dim condition is a good design decision.
Maybe it's interesting to know even for some sony commercial cameras, their min illumination are only 10 lux.

alo100:
Thank you for both of the replies.

I feel more comfortable after hearing the comment.
I guess I was not too sure about the 1/30 s because somehow it instantly reminded me about the lowest shutter speed I'd use for a manual camera without a tripoid was 1/60 s.
I hope the 1/30 for the dim condition is a good design decision.
Maybe it's interesting to know even for some sony commercial cameras, their min illumination are only 10 lux.

I think the only real way to know is convince some poor schmuck with some $ and a housing to give it a go for us :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom